I need help from baitcaster users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help from baitcaster users

Hi guys I'll make this short and to the point. I'm right handed and I have used spinning reel exclusively for 30 years. I want to buy a baitcaster combo and learn how to use it. I was told by a friend since I've retrieved with my left hand for 30 years to buy a left handed retrieve baitcaster. I help both in the store and the left hand retrieve did feel more comfortable. Am I going to lose some kind of efficiency going with the left retrieve or should I force myself to learn the right?

To be honest the whole idea of right handed reels is ridiculous and backward to me, left handed conventional reels just seem to make more sense. I, and many of the guys I fish with, exclusively fish left handed reels.

The main reason being, with a right handed reel you generally cast with the rod in your right hand, you must then switch the rod to your left hand before you begin fishing. Left handed reels there's none of that nonsense; you cast and start fishing. You're not giving up anything at all using a lefty.

Comment

I prefer baitcasters whenever possible and I'm a little curious to see how others reply to this thread.. I always cast with my right hand regardless of whether i'm using baitcasters or spinning gear, but what may be a little odd is that I always reel with my right hand with baitcasters and with my left hand on spinning gear.. I don't know how normal this is for the rest of the population but it's how I'm most comfortable.. I think it has something to do with the fact that the swing of the handle is so big on spinning gear it's easy to spin left handed. The smaller swing of the baitcaster feels awkward. Maybe I'm crazy... who knows?
      2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

If you cast with your right hand then by all means go with a "left handed" baitcasting reel (handle on the left). You will be so much more efficient since you will not have to switch hands to engage the reel and start your retrieve.

I am a lefty so I use a "right handed" baitcasting reel. Go figure.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I fish with guys that use right handed casters and left handed spinning. Im left handed but cast using either hand doesnt matter. I rather keep all my reel handles on the same side. If im casting with some force ill hold the rod with both hands and thumb the spool with my left.
          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I'm right-handed and I use left-hand retrieve bait-casters, spinning reels and fly reels. I keep the rod in my casting hand (the right) and turn the crank or strip the line in the case of fly fishing with my left. It just seems easier to me. But I've noticed that many of the bass pros on TV cast and crank with their right hand. I believe it's a matter of personal comfort. I don't see that there is an advantage to either way. I suspect very few fish are lost during the transition of the rod from the right hand to the left or vice versa.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I would have to agree, I'm left handed and use right handed baitcasters. Its easer for me to just toss lures and keep fishing, no need to waste time switching the rod from hand to hand to engage the spool. I only use left handed reels for flipping to slow myself down to let the bait sink to the bottom.
              Tan-Tarpon 140
              Lime-Pelican Matrix
              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
                I prefer baitcasters whenever possible and I'm a little curious to see how others reply to this thread.. I always cast with my right hand regardless of whether i'm using baitcasters or spinning gear, but what may be a little odd is that I always reel with my right hand with baitcasters and with my left hand on spinning gear.. I don't know how normal this is for the rest of the population but it's how I'm most comfortable.. I think it has something to do with the fact that the swing of the handle is so big on spinning gear it's easy to spin left handed. The smaller swing of the baitcaster feels awkward. Maybe I'm crazy... who knows?
                You're not crazy, this is the exact same way I fish with both spinning and baitcasting gear. I've had left hand modeled baitcasters in the past and they just felt awkward. I also think that the smaller turning radius on baitcasters is why I feel more comfortable reeling with my dominant hand. It does sound like it would make more sense to use a left hand model if you cast right handed, but over the years I've got to the point to where the switching of the rod from my right to left hand is second nature and I can pretty much start my retrieve as soon as my lure hits the water.
                BRETT
                Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

I will start with a caveat. I'm an Ambidexterous. I play sports right handed, but I'm left handed for fine motor skills like writing and eating.

I tried the lefty baitcaster. It seemed like a great idea. I found it to be unbelievably clunky and awkward. This is despite that using my left hand to reel in a spinning reel is completely natural. I don't really know why t is that way. Perhaps it was just the reel itself that was clunky and awkward. I don't know. I moth balled that reel though and it sits in my basement, I don't even take it out anymore.

To be honest, I don't even realize I'm switching the rod from one hand to the other on every cast
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Go with what feels best. There is no right or wrong answer. You'll see pros that use right hand retrieves and cast right handed and they do just fine. I have always used right hand retrieve and I am right handed and cast with my right thumb on the spool. It just feels right. I've tried left hand retrieve and it was ugly. LOL As others have said, the hand swap isn't a big issue at all. Once you're used to it, it's an easy exchange.

Personally, I think the guys that use left-handed reels and are right handed are just too uncoordinated and not skilled enough for the post cast exchange. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Comment

I am right handed, crank with my left hand with spinning outfits and use both left and right handed baitcasters. Cranking a baitcaster with my left hand still feels awkward though and I feel like I have a lot more control and power cranking with my right.

Comment

I never thought about it, but I guess I cast left handed and reel with my right hand on both spinning and baitcasting reels. I use a fork in my left hand, but do just about everything else right handed.
                        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

I use left handed reels when casting as well. (I am a righty). but when you are tuna fishing or doing something that demands a lot of cranking (deep drop), I like to have the handle on my dominate hand (with a big t-grip). So for me, it depends on how you plan on using it.
                          Ocean Kayak Yellow 13

Comment

I have both styles.
                            My Shimano has a right-hand crank. I've owned it for over 20 years and have always wished it had a left-hand crank. So when I bought my Diawa I made sure it came with a left-hand crank.
                            I don't like having to switch hands with the rod.

As for some casting crank arms being small, many brands offer a larger "power crank" as an aftermarket option.
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I guess I'm just used to it but I don't even notice that I switch hands. If I was just starting out, maybe I would think about the left hand reels, and I can understand the logic. I don't feel at all hindered in my current method though..
                              2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X