Cold Water Kayaking Safety and the involentary gasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Water Kayaking Safety and the involentary gasp

Most people here have not been swimming as I have in December and January. I figure I would share a few experiences on cold water and its effects on you.

Cold Water Kayaking Safety and the involentary gasp

Good info for the new guys on if you should have a dry suit or waders with a dry top and not just waders alone.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

There's NO margin of error in cold water. You can go from happily fishing to dead in a matter of a couple minutes. Please be careful and don't be alone out there. I know there's a lot of veterans out there, but I know there are some newbies too and this is for you. Please respect cold water. Especially moving cold water.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Very informative and helpful - thanks.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this. I needed to know.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for the great post -very informative. Now that you put the fear of God in me what water temps are reasonably safe without a full on survival suit?

Comment

It depends on your skill, the stability of your kayak, the water conditions (how rough) and the warmth of the air and water. The unwritten rule is air + water = to 120 degrees is when you don't need waders or any protected gear but a PFD.

I would suggest having breathable waders with a PFD and starting on back protected creeks until is warms more and your abilities go up. Water in 40 degrees is flat out shocking if you go into it. This was just a "be careful" out there.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

" the unwritten rule is air + water = to 120 degrees is when you don't need waders or any protected ....... Water in 40 degrees is flat out shocking if you go into it. "

Thank you. This was very helpful.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Well done presentation Rob! In my younger days I violated every precaution mentioned because I just did not know any better. It was just pure luck that I never paid the price. Hopefully somebody coming along in this sport sees this and recognizes the potential danger.

Does the young Canadian girl in that YouTube video do books on tape? That accent is priceless!

p.s. - by the way, that guy fishing for stripers in the ice really needs to have his head examined!
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Yea, I don't know what he (spelled you) was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                  X