Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's Cove on Potomac River

Hello everyone,

While I've never been there yet, but I cannot find info anywhere on whether there is a fee for using the ramp? Will bring my own fishing kayak.

Thanks in advance

Donnie
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

I don't recall a boat ramp at Fletcher's.

I have heard for a fee they will let you launch off their dock, but car-toppers can soft launch for free.
    Just park down toward the far end of the lot and launch from the shore. There is no launch fee if you do not use the dock.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Kayak fishing from Fletchers is one of my 2014 goals.

Comment

I've only fished there once. I just parked at the end of the parking lot, and launched from the bank. It's easy with a few large rocks. Be careful the bridge if you carry your boat on the roof. It's pretty low and only one lane wide.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Do you need a DC fishing licence to fish there?

Comment

Yes, you do need the DC license. It's $13.00 online for a non resident. If you're over 65 you don't need any license.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
              Yes, you do need the DC license. It's $13.00 online for a non resident. If you're over 65 you don't need any license.
              Thanks.

BTW anybody interested in fishing here or up further on the Potomac may find this handy.
              It's a kmz file that can be imported into Google Earth or any GPS software that has all the mile markers plus features such as dams, parking, campsites, water etc. along the C&O canel listed. I've posted in a few other threads and thought I'd share it in this one as well. I have found it invaluable for planning some trips. I'm working on updated this file using some of the common names and will upload that when complete, keep an eye out in the main forum if you are interested.
              C&O Canal.zip

Comment

I've always wanted to fish the boulder gardens just south of the Legion bridge but north of the Gorge.. It looks like relatively calm water with lots of deep holes and large boulders. Anyone fish this stretch? Where did you put in? The only parking seems to be a lock 8 and 10 and there's a good portage required to get to river in both spots.
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

There is no public ramp at Fletchers. Matter of fact cars with boat trailers are NOT ALLOWED at Flethchers due to the extremely tight manuvering needed to get to the water's edge. Cartops can launch at the far end of the lower parking lot. It's about a 150' carry from parking to the water's edge. A cart would work nicely there. However, heavy flooding can dump a lot of large woody debris in the cart trail to the water's edge.

And yeah, the tunnel you must go thru to get to the lower parking lot has a moderately low clearance, maybe 7' if you stay centered. I'll send a pic of the tunnel in a few days when my home computer is fixed.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Hi All,

FC is close by and I fish there often. Clearance through the tunnel is 7'6" dead center so if you have an SUV you likely won't make it with a car top loaded yak. A one lane only road also can cause trouble if you're not paying attention.

A DC license can be bought at the shack for 13 bucks and is required south of Chain Bridge. Private launching is not allowed from their dock. However, at the end of the parking lot is access to the river, and a cart would be helpful.

Be careful however, b/c many locals also fish at that launch point and it can get tricky on weekends during high volume hours with crowds.

Traffic along the road coming into the FC entrance is challenging as well during weekdays given the one way flow outbound during afternoon rush hour, so plan accordingly if you are arriving during this time.

Pay attention to tidal pull and river levels because during strong outgoing tide or high water flow paddling up river can be a workout and the good spots get crowded along the bank with shore anglers, which can push you into the channel to avoid them where current is strongest.

Having said all of that, the fishing can be incredible and it's worth a visit, especially during the spring shad run.

Hope this information helps.

Comment

Always check the gauges when you go....always wear a PFD...and always be careful of the current there. DO NOT take any chances and if you anchor....make sure you can release in an instant.

Not trying to scare you off but that place can be very dangerous if you don't know the current, rocks, seams etc. The undercurrent is what will get you.

The fishing is no good there.....

Ernie

Comment

Here's an older post that shows the tunnel you must drive through to get to the lower parking lot where the cartop launch is located.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ight=fletchers
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                        X