Rod building - grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod building - grips

What size rear grip and fore grips do you prefer ........ Cork and not split grips ......... For yak fishing and why

...... Anyone ...... Anyone ...... Buehler ..... Buehler ....... Anyone

Comment

For most spinning rods that I make, I prefer the Fuji Hooded Quick Grip that I get thru Mud Hole.
      I don't like split grips, and I don't like holding a reel seat that isn't covered.

Comment

I prefer hypalon foam grips (not split) about 15-17 inches for the rear grip and a 6 or 7 inch fore-grip of the same material over an aluminum lakeland threaded reel seat (threads to the tip) on a 7 foot medium spinning rod with a fast tip- 10-12# test lines tossing up to 5/8 oz lures...as an all-around outfit
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think it depends on the rod, and preference and comfort. I'll address Med. Heavy boat rods. The butt grip isn't used when the fight is on as much as the the front grip. with that being said, I like a non tapered thick Foam front grip because I have more leverage in the sitting position. I also like a relatively long grip so I can extend my arm further from the reel seat. That allows me to stay center to the pull so I don't lean toward the fight in a kayak. There are more variables that make a big difference in the type of fishing that you are doing ie: casting for a extended amount of time to horsing a big fish away from structure with no drag.
          Last edited by scorpioreno; 02-22-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys ......... I'm asking because someone told me that they prefer a shorter grip for kayak fishing. While I understand this for light and ultralight rods for perch etc ........ I don't understand it for Stripers. I like a 10" cork grip so I can use my forearm for leverage and I just like it better for jigging. I also like a longer grip for trolling ........

Do you guys like a 7, 9, 10 , 11 in rear grips ........ And what about foregrips

Comment

Jigging or bait/trolling would make a difference to me. I like a little longer rear than most kayak guys on my jigging sticks it seems- 11inch on my baitcasting jigging stick. On spinning rods I think I usually do a 9-11" as well. I measure to the end of the reel foot, so that's probably a 9" with a cap to you. I like the grips on jigging rods to be as minimal as possible, meaning split grips with no more than about 3.5" below the reel seat and little to no foregrip.

For bait/trolling - I usually end up in the 10-14" range and full foam or cork is fine.
              Used to fish more.

Comment

I think some of it depends on your boat and some is personal preference/fishing style. I used to fish a ski and found a long fore grip to be awkward.

I only like a split grip on lighter rods. I agree with Bignose, though, I don't like holding an unfinished reel seat. I ended up packing the open end full of epoxy. Still don't really like it.
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

First rod on the drying rack here in Afghanistan.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice work Pinch.....
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                    X