An introduction and a Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An introduction and a Request

I am brand new to this forum and would like to introduce myself before I make my request. My name is Karl and I have been paddle a canoe or kayak for 30 years. I started in a Old Town pathfinder at the age 11 with my dad. He had polio which too the use of his legs from him, but he declined to let that slow him down. We fished for years together before life and death got in the way. I have not fished on a regular basis since moving down to Virginia.

Life has settled down to a point where I want to get back into kayak fishing a little more seriously (my son is old enough to have some patience) so I began poking around the internet for information on a more suitable kayak and also to get more info on fishing the Potomac River. In searching I kept coming across Heroes on the Water (heroesonthewater.org). I have long known the power of being on the water in a yak and what it does for my state of mind, so I decided to sign up as volunteer. While doing so I was amazed to find that there is no serving Northern Virginia or DC. I believe the Maryland Chapter is trying to get a relationship with Walter Reed, but as it stands now one of the largest populations of veterans and some of the most high profile military facilities are not yet served by HOW.

Instead remaining amazed for too long I have spoke with Jim Dolan, the founder of HOW, as well as the surrounding chapter coordinators and have begun a search for a leadership team to start a Northern Virginia/DC chapter of HOW. I need at least four people to be on the leadership team. I would like more, because I suspect this could be large chapter eventually due to the high number of veterans in this area. I currently have a few folks how have experience in running non-profit organizations and hopefully have a fw retired vets. What I need now is at least one person on the team who is connected to the northern Virginia kayak fishing community. If you can help us plan and form this group I would love to have your help. I only require you feel strongly about helping our vets and you have a positive attidude.

If you cannot help long term, but have ideas or contacts for potential volunteers with lots of kayaking and fishing experience in this area I respectfully request your input. Even if you don't have much experience but support the cause let's talk.

Once I am up and running as a full fledged chapter I hope to have a group on this forum where we can form a community to draw volunteers from as the Maryland Chapter has. Thanks for reading.

Karl
    Karl

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, Versa Board, Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

Don't have to be associated with a "cause" to take someone out for a day of fun. I kidnapped my buddy out of Walter Reed for a weekend after we got back from Afghanistan. Not saying anything bad about HOW, but I get tired of "charities" saying they help Vets, when in reality they probably keep most of the $$$ for themselves.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Don't have to be associated with a "cause" to take someone out for a day of fun. I kidnapped my buddy out of Walter Reed for a weekend after we got back from Afghanistan. Not saying anything bad about HOW, but I get tired of "charities" saying they help Vets, when in reality they probably keep most of the $$$ for themselves.
      +1

Comment

Cowpokey,

I cannot disagree with your point that there area number disreputable charities out there. There are bad eggs everywhere, we tend to send them to capital hill on a regular basis. I have to disagree that that you are not "saying anything bad about HOW". That was a passive aggressive way of saying that the work that the HOW volunteers is not appreciated by indirectly linking them to fraudulent charities. You have the freedom to have your opinion, however, I hope that in the future that you do some research and consider the impact of your posts before you make that opinion known, it will help you sound informed either way you fall on the subject. I seriously considered not posting here because I am fully aware of how someone new to the board comes on with an agenda post can be seen by the regulars.

I welcome you pm me any examples you have of HOW specifically is misusing funds or otherwise fulfilling its mission ( I am not part of nor trying to support any other charity with this post). It would save me a whole lot of work in trying to get a local chapter together, as I am not in this to make money. The local chapters are not paid and those are the folks in the trenches doing the real work, and do not limit trips to one per veteran, so I hope that you have taken your buddy out more than the one time. You are right you do not have to be part of a group, but then go down to Walter Reed on a monthly basis and help out, I am sure it will be a much more rewarding experience than belittling what I am trying to do. As said above if you have information that I am walking into a disreputable organization I welcome you assistance. I will however mark you down as a definite "No" on the volunteer list.

Karl
        Karl

Comment

You are absolutely correct with my perspective (about you, not HOW). Anyone that uses their very first post the way you did will be seen as a scammer. Make yourself known in a community, get out and show your commitment, then you might be come across sincere.

I used one example of my commitment to my brothers and sisters in arms; I didn't know I needed to justify my post with a life's work put in single a post.

Good luck with your endeavor.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            I used one example of my commitment to my brothers and sisters in arms; I didn't know I needed to justify my post with a life's work put in single a post.

Good luck with your endeavor.
            See we found some common ground. You questioned my sincerity based on the fact that I am stranger somewhere out in the internet and I questioned yours, based on the same thing. Seemed like fair play to me.
            Karl

Comment

Lets go fishing.

Originally posted by canoe515 View Post
              See we found some common ground. You questioned my sincerity based on the fact that I am stranger somewhere out in the internet and I questioned yours, based on the same thing. Seemed like fair play to me.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

canoe515 - welcome to the board. As a member of the Maryland Chapter leadership team I didnt take your initial post as a troll or scam, it was simply an intro and call for volunteers (NOT CASH) once you get the Virginia Chapter going. Sort of a Soft Opening, instead of a Grand Opening. Dont get discouraged. I know there are organizations that use causes, such as helping vets, to take advantage of giving individuals, but this has not been my experience with HOW. I wouldnt associate myself with such an organization! I often find myself going into my own pocket to make sure the guys & gals we take out have an awesome experience. I dont stand out in the rain, snow & hail, at various fishing flea markets selling tshirts & stickers to line my own pockets it all goes to purchase gear and maintain the trailers & yaks. Good luck with your endevour in Virginia...its not easy, but very gratifying.
                Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Thanks Wfauby,

I think cowpokey and I have made amends via pm. I will not get anywhere if I let a couple internet posts stop me. I am hoping get over to Basspro on the 8th to meet some of you guys at HOW and Snaggedline if it is too cold to fish at the Meet & greet.
                  Karl

Comment

Can't take things extremely serious, when the internet is the only commonality. I'll try to get out to BPS on the 8th, can't promise anything...it's going to be a busy next few days. Sitting at the gate at Inchon, getting ready for that long flight back to the States...gong to miss Korea.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X