Hobie Rudder Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Rudder Lines

Anyone ever fool with them? The up/down control of my rudder on my Revo 11 has too much play and the line has slack. Anyone ever try to adjust them?

I found a few diagrams of the lines but seems kinda intimidating. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

I replaced lines a few times. I found easy way to replace lines (easy wayt to put line through from inside to outside). Dang, I couldn't find the video I prepared while doing that

Anyway
    Check if the plastic tubings are in place securly first.The tubings are supposed to be secured on clips inside the stern hatch. This will tighten the lines.

If that is not the case and the lines are good, then unscrew the bolts, tighten the lines, and re tighten the bolts.
    • Put the kayak on the bucket, kayak cart.
    • Put the rudder down
    • Mark the line with a permanent marker for reference
    • Memorize how the lines were shaped (around bolts) while unscrewing the bolts
    • Tigghten the line, then tighten the bolt, then move the rudder side to side and up and down. You may do this few times for both lines

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Good question Dave, I was wondering the same thing. What type of line (size and strength) would one use if replacement was necessary?
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I've tightened the steering lines but never the up and down lines.

Like Joe recommended, I looked carefully at how they were attached prior to starting and pulled them gently at the point where they attached to the rudder to take out the slack and then retied them. I also raised the boat off the floor and made sure the rudder and lever were centered prior to tightening.

The up and down mechanism is definitely more ominous looking. I haven't touched that.

The only time I had trouble with the steering cables loosening was after a trip to Mattawoman. I figured that sloshing through the heavy vegetation there put more pressure on the steering cables than in clear waters.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks guys. This will be on my to-do list for this weekend. Hopefully it will be an easy repair and will reply with an update.
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

It's 700-lb test spectra cord.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...dder-Line.html
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Originally posted by chex View Post
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

The up/down lines have an elastic portion that should be taking up the slack (that's the "shock" in shock cord). If you don't feel the elastic, maybe it's broken.

shock-cord.jpg
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                X