Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod Building:* Final touches* my First Rod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking into my first build now and wanted to ask a few questions. You mention a power wrapper being pretty important, is that due to the quality of what you're able to produce or strictly production. Also, where/how did you learn to do this? I can find books and what not, but just curious if maybe you saw a class somewhere. I hope my first turns out as good as yours!

Any interest in building one for me so I don't have to invest in all the equipment?
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
      I'm looking into my first build now and wanted to ask a few questions. You mention a power wrapper being pretty important, is that due to the quality of what you're able to produce or strictly production. Also, where/how did you learn to do this? I can find books and what not, but just curious if maybe you saw a class somewhere. I hope my first turns out as good as yours!

Any interest in building one for me so I don't have to invest in all the equipment?
      I was taught by local Jedi master, Ken Preston in Pasadena. I'm sure Ken would be happy to build you one.

Power wrapping isn't a necessity, it just makes things much faster. The detail work is still typically done by hand unless you're really good. Check out youtube for videos. Other than that, you just need to get the supplies and give it a shot.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
        I was taught by local Jedi master, Ken Preston in Pasadena. I'm sure Ken would be happy to build you one.

Power wrapping isn't a necessity, it just makes things much faster. The detail work is still typically done by hand unless you're really good. Check out youtube for videos. Other than that, you just need to get the supplies and give it a shot.
        How can I get in touch with Ken?
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Steve Fogel is putting on a custom rod building seminar next month. I just bought a custom, spiral wrapped rod from him.
          Here's the link to the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/3471...y_type=regular

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

How can I get in touch with Ken?
              He's on the web: http://www.kensfishingrods.com/
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                Steve Fogel is putting on a custom rod building seminar next month. I just bought a custom, spiral wrapped rod from him.
                Here's the link to the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/3471...y_type=regular
                Hey Alan, how do you like your spiral wrapped rod? I built a couple short boat rods for trolling a few years back and spiral or acid wrapped them. They look great but are a little heavy duty for most of what I pull.
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice work, My late father had a nice custom rod that he broke. I got a new top half blank and put the old guides on it. My finished product didn't look half as nice as yours.

Comment

Beautiful !!!!!!

Comment

Hey Alan, how do you like your spiral wrapped rod? I built a couple short boat rods for trolling a few years back and spiral or acid wrapped them. They look great but are a little heavy duty for most of what I pull.
                      My spiral wrapped rod is light for jigging. So far so good....I just got it this past weekend and only got to use it a short time. I picked up a pair of stripers almost immediately on it, but then the coast guard kicked me out of the channel because of the fog. So I have very limited use with it, just two fish and about 10 minutes worth of fishing with it. It cast well too.
                      G0010011.jpgphoto 1 (2).jpg

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

....... Ken is the master ......... He is around Pasadena I think .......... Really a nice guy ....... I have his number if you want it .......... He will even build it with you if you want to

Comment

Here's another shot of the rod made for me by Backyard Custom Rods. The guy's name is Steve Fogle.
                          photo 2.jpg

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Ken Preston has built a rod for me and repaired another.

He made this light spinning rod to my specs. It has handled pickerel and stripers and of course white perch.

P1000518.jpg

He does excellent work.

He lives in Pasadena not far from the entrance of Ft. Smallwood Park
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X