Tackle Storage(At Home)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackle Storage(At Home)

Hey guys, the Winter blues have taken control of my soul... LOL!! It was good to get out to the flea market and get the juices flowing... As I was going through my gear to see if I had some stuff I wanted to sell, I thought to myself there has to be another way. LOL My tackle is currently located in the closet in 2 storage bins that my wife loves to just pile every thing she can find on top of ... so getting stuff out requires A LOT of moving. SMH Even still prior to going to trips, I easily miss new or less frequent lures that I want to use. So I was wondering what you guys like to use.

I have been thinking of buying one of these Sterilite drawers: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...abinet/8206252
    I have seen a few on Craigslist, but I need to check one out in person to see how many Planos I can stuff in there.

So what do you guys like to use?

My only negative thought about the Sterilite unit you showed is that the drawers may bind up or not slide smoothly if you put a lot of weight in them. If your tackle is not real heavy (for example, line, plugs and spinners) you should be fine. If you planned to store a lot of lead sinkers or jigheads, you could have some drawer binding issues. If you are able to see one at a store, try placing some other heavy merchandise in a drawer to see how easily it slides.

I am fortunate to have the space in my garage to have a large set of plywood shelves that hold lots of gear. I can stack Plano boxes and store other tackle on the shelves. I made a set of 12 vertical rod holders to hold my spinning rod arsenal on another part of the garage wall.

001.jpg 002.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice setup there John! Unfortunately I am confined to our apartment and don't have the space for a man-cave of some sort. The kids ruined all that! LOL I'll check the drawers out to see how much weight they can handle. For lead, I'm fine having that somewhere else. I did see a cheap set of heavy duty plastic shelves at Ollie's that I considered using. Maybe I will go that route.

Comment

very nice John
        Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
        Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

I have my rods in okuma vertical rod racks which work great and my tackle is mostly in Plano boxes on a shelf or in one of those plastic drawers you posted. They work ok, but John's comments are correct as they bind when you put too much weight in there. The problem with organizing is once you file things away you forget about them...
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Man I was just telling Sam, that I have been eyeing the same rod holder for a while now! I'm so terrible at biting the bullet on stuff I won't actually use on the water! LOL

Man if you saw how my tackle is now, you'd bust out laughing! LOL I'm not as bad as some who forget they even own something, but it takes me so long to find it, I just usually quit! LOL

Comment

When we remodeled our kitchen I hung some of the old cabinets in my garage. I designated one of them for tackle. It used to hold canned goods but now it's filled with Plano boxes. Some of the boxes are for inventory storage and some are packed ready-to-go.

My rods are hung from the garage ceiling except for the fly rods. I keep them in their socks in tubes when not in use. (That's because I broke the tip of one on the ceiling rack. That was not a good day! However, the rod is repaired now and good to go.)

I also use large plastic tool boxes as reel holders. I designate one box for spinning and bait casters and one for fly reels. The trays are good for storing line, lubricant, extra spools and parts and the reels go underneath the tray.

It's definitely good to consolidate your fishing tackle. Otherwise it can be hard to find and easy to forgot what you have.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hey John, what's your address again? And how often do you leave your garage door open?

I went through my tackle this weekend to narrow it down to a few boxes for my Florida Trip. What a mess. It sounds like I need to follow your lead. I'd love to copy Mark's system, but I know myself well enough to know that there is no way I could keep up with that!
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

when I lived in an apartment i got a cabinet and kept it on the balcony with a lock. it kept everything neat and organized except fishing poles
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

You know dhawk... That just might work!!! Then I don't have to worry bout my kids and wife messing with my stuff. You never had any issues with heat messing with your soft plastics?

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                      You know dhawk... That just might work!!! Then I don't have to worry bout my kids and wife messing with my stuff. You never had any issues with heat messing with your soft plastics?
                      I never had a problem with the heat but I will say my balcony was shaded. I started out with the plastic rubber maid yard cabinet and it worked great and locked and when I moved apartments I got a wood armoire from work it had more room so I stored my hunting stuff there too. It was nice to have my own separate storage area.
                      D Hawk
                      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                      X