Dry Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Top

I don't know much about dry tops, but is it possible to wear one of these over a pair of waders to serve as an effective dry suit? Are there gaskets to keep out water around the waist?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

This may have solved it for me
    http://www.stripersonline.com/t/5288...-demonstration

Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

check the archives here for lots of discussion on this topic including semi dry top vs dry top

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Some dry tops will have what they call a "double tunnel" which allows you to trap the top of a pair of dry pants or waist high waders between the inner tunnel layer of the drytop and the hook and loop closure of the outer layer of drytop. They do not have a gasket at the waist like they do at the wrists and the neck.

It will not keep you dry like a drysuit would in the event of an extended stay in the water. That type of combo (drytop with waders/dry pants) will keep you dry in a down pour or dry from paddle splash or dry if you jumped into the water then hopped right back out.

If you spend any appreciable amount of time in the water that combination will leak (and if the weather and water is cold and you get wet, it can kill you).

Any questions please ask away. Better to be safe.
        Last edited by Turtle135; 03-03-2014, 10:32 PM.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

found these http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/ dry suits starting at $225.00

Comment

Thanks. I found an NRS dry top new on ebay for $75 and had to grab it. I've been wearing waders and frog toggs for the top. I go out too much in cold weather to not get a dry top just in case of a spill. The article MM posted scared me straight.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I bought a dry top in Mid-December and haven't tried it yet because the weather's been so terrible. My plan is to use it with waders. I plan to use a wader belt and the rubber waist seal. I figure it should keep out enough water to give me time to get back in my boat.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                I bought a dry top in Mid-December and haven't tried it yet because the weather's been so terrible. My plan is to use it with waders. I plan to use a wader belt and the rubber waist seal. I figure it should keep out enough water to give me time to get back in my boat.
                That's what I'm thinking as well. The link I posted shows that's how it was done. I think it was Mullet Miller. If I'm ever in the water that long, something really bad has happened.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I wear the top and bottom of the dry suit.I haven,t got wet yet nor have I turtle to see if they do keep you dry.I have been in water pass my waist and still was dry.The wader if you turtle you will be good and wet.
                  2012 hobie outback
                  2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Here's another video and comparison of a couple of cold weather combinations.....waders with just a fleece top, a dry top/wader combo, and a dry suit. All done in the winter at the launch down by Kiptopeake SP.

http://oceanyak.com/videos/kayak-ang...wear-test-mpg/

Sounds like the dry top wader combo works pretty well so it looks like you'll be good to go.

Personally- I find wearing just a T-shirt and shorts during the winter is the best preventative measure to keep from falling out of your boat. :-)
                    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                      Here's another video and comparison of a couple of cold weather combinations.....waders with just a fleece top, a dry top/wader combo, and a dry suit. All done in the winter at the launch down by Kiptopeake SP.

http://oceanyak.com/videos/kayak-ang...wear-test-mpg/

Sounds like the dry top wader combo works pretty well so it looks like you'll be good to go.

Personally- I find wearing just a T-shirt and shorts during the winter is the best preventative measure to keep from falling out of your boat. :-)
                      Great find. Thanks!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X