Who's Turtled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Turtled?

Just curious how many people have actually turtled their kayak. If so, what yak were you in and how did it happen? I've never had it happen. The Outback seems really stable to me and unless I'm really hanging over the side I've never felt close to going over, and I've logged a lot of hours on the bay. The first thing anyone asks when they learn I'm a kayak fisherman is, "have you ever fallen in?"

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Turtled last summer for first and only time. Was using the Hobie sail kit out in Gunpowder and got hit by a sudden cross wind. 25mph gust against the Revo 11 without stabilizers didn't stand a chance. Luckily didn't have any gear on deck and re-entry was easy.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFX35 View Post
      Turtled last summer for first and only time. Was using the Hobie sail kit out in Gunpowder and got hit by a sudden cross wind. 25mph gust against the Revo 11 without stabilizers didn't stand a chance. Luckily didn't have any gear on deck and re-entry was easy.
      Yah, I could see that. I have the sail kit as well. I always use the outriggers with it though, but even so, a strong gust could over power them easily.

Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Turtled last summer in my Outback- really quick- no warning it was going- one second OK, next was upside down- had a big redfish at boat barely lip hooked and when it dove under the boat I leaned over and lunged at it- went swimming...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

In 23 years of kayak fishing I have turtled twice. Both times in sit inside kayaks when I had raised myself up off the seat for a reason I soon regretted.

First time was in 1 foot of water when I was answering the call of nature. I hit the bottom so hard I thought to myself "the last time I got hit that hard was high school football".

Second time was in the middle of Lake Tridelphia. The wind was blowing up white caps. I was reaching behind the seat trying to grab a paddle leash when a roller sent me overboard. I was dumped into the lake but the kayak did not turtle. I popped to the surface to see my kayak headed for the next county like a like a sailboat under mainsail.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Does small White water rafting on an 8' pelican kayak count, when you're over its weight rating and its spins like a top? But I think I set myself up for that and had not gear to loose, its was swimming float creek.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I got about half way last summer getting into my sik. Had a tackle bag sitting on the bow. It started to go so I grabbed for it. I was at the ramp and was able to put my hand out and caught bottom before I rolled. Got a little water in the boat and a handful of ramp muck.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                Second time was in the middle of Lake Tridelphia. The wind was blowing up white caps. I was reaching behind the seat trying to grab a paddle leash when a roller sent me overboard. I was dumped into the lake but the kayak did not turtle. I popped to the surface to see my kayak headed for the next county like a like a sailboat under mainsail.
                Awesome Dave! I hadn't heard you tell that tale before. No wonder you hate Triadelphia so much!!!! That place does get some wicked white caps when the wind blows up. I wish I could have been there to seen it!

Comment

Not Yet

I've not turtled yet. Been close a couple of times when getting in and out of an Old Town Rush SINK.

The Coosa and Native Manta Ray have been very stable.

I try not to have my big head and belly lean outside of the kayak.

Comment

I did on Monocacy river. Going through the chute just above Buckeystown park. I dumped my SIK. The It was summer and the water was only 3-4 feet deep. I lost a Shimano Stradic / St Croix Avid rod/reel. The water was shallow , but it was incredibly murky. I couldn't see more than a foot down. When the water cleared , I'm sure someone found a really nice present.

The hardest part was getting the water out of my boat.

I'm glad it wasn;t winter.
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

My first year fishing from a kayak I turtled. Floating down river on the Upper Potomac in my Emotion Spitfire 8. You could say I was over the weight limit w/ myself plus gear. While facing upstream but floating down, bumped a rock and over I went. Lost my car keys and some snacks for the day. Learned a lot about situational awareness and gear management after that. Luckily it was during a nice hot summer day. I have sinced really stepped up my river management skills and "knock on wood" haven't turtled since.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                        Awesome Dave! I hadn't heard you tell that tale before. No wonder you hate Triadelphia so much!!!! That place does get some wicked white caps when the wind blows up. I wish I could have been there to seen it!
                        I wish you had been there too. I would have had you retrieve my kayak so I would not have had to swim after it!
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Not a Turtle, but on Antietam creek one day fish, with Greg, I went to run a shoot in my Commander on the captains perch. You "always" glance off rocks in current, but not this time! The rock stopped me square, like brick wall. Threw me off the upper seat and forward onto the dash board and almost into the creek. Broke a fishing rod too.

Greg couldn't stop laughing.

This is the hole the rock tore in my bow and I had to weld it once I go home.
                          001.jpg
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I hit a big rock square in my Outback at the Susquehanna pool. It was just submerged and stopped me dead in my tracks. I couldn't believe it did no damage.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

First time was last summer during the tournament. Faulty rigging led to a flooded hull. Game was over before I even knew it...
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X