Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are your most effective lures for....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Snakeheads - chatterbait, frog, hollow bodied swimbait.
    2. Tidal Potomac largemouth bass - chatterbait, lipless crank, senko
    3. Upper Potomac smallmouth bass - don't fish there
    4. Tidal striped bass - Storm Wildeye swimbait or lipless crank
    I don't target the other species listed.
    HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

The replies to this thread have been very interesting.

The thing that strikes me is that the same species are caught by many different "favorite" lures.

It reminds of my start in fly fishing. I was mentored by an older gentleman who fished for LM and SM bass exclusively with one fly -- a Gaines size 4 Bass King popper. He bought them by the gross. He bought so many directly from the factory that Gaines asked him if was a dealer!

I know I catch more fish when I have confidence in the lure or fly I am using and have familiarity with it. Perhaps that's the real secret -- not the variety of lures but the consistency in your approach and your command of the lure or fly in question.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

I know I catch more fish when I have confidence in the lure or fly I am using and have familiarity with it. Perhaps that's the real secret -- not the variety of lures but the consistency in your approach and your command of the lure or fly in question.
        I think you hit on a key point. All but the fussiest of fish will bite a variety of lures depending on their mood and how the lures are presented. All of us have preferred lures with which we have more confidence than with other lures. We throw them more often and feel comfortable throwing them.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Grady-B makes a mean White Perch catchin' spinnerbait in 1/8oz! Beetle spins work but the bigger ones want what he makes. Same with Woody's!

Ernie

Comment

Indeed the beetle spin will pretty much catch anything.

Comment

1. Snakeheads.......n/a
              2. Tidal Potomac largemouth bass.....white spinnerbait
              3. Upper Potomac smallmouth bass.....white roostertail or Ivory powergrub
              4. Tidal striped bass.....Equal numbers-4" bass assasin saltyshad;tony spoon; sardine x-rap; slim dog topwater plug
              5. Redfish.... chartuse drone spoon or firetiger salty shad (with or without spinner)
              6. Speckled Trout....brook trout colored x-rap
              7. Bluefish.....Kastmaster spoon, tony spoon
              8. White Perch....pearl powergrub with grass shrimp
              9, Cownose Ray....any plug costing more than $8...especially those fresh out of the box
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Bingo!

BTW: Thanks Ernie..

GB

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
                  Not to toot my own horn, but I have caught 2 - 8 all on my Custom bucktails.
                  and how about #9. Flounder, and #10 for Rock also! All on my Customs..
                  Haven't fished for #1. yet.
                  GB

Well, if you will not toot your own horn about this, then I'll toot mine for you: "TOOT TOOT......"

..... Good job!!! :-)

Best Regards,
                  Stan
                  Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I usually tend to default to gulp and have caught #4-8 on gulp swimming mullet and gulp minnow. Specks are finnicky bastards sometimes though, I did pretty well with a Sebile Stick shad for them in Tampa. Also for Striper I like X-raps and its hard to beat live-lining spot! I dont fish much for 1-3 but the one snakehead and few bass I've caught were on chatterbaits.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                    X