Insurance on Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance on Kayak

Just a heads up to all my fellow kayakers, I am not sure what all insurance companies cover kayaks but I know for sure that geico does as I am getting a "boat" policy through them (lets face it the pro angler is a boat). I figure after spending $3000+ on it, it wouldnt be a bad idea to get insurance. My rate is $75 a year but I also opted for the extra coverage which for the first 4 years from the purchase date will keep the value of the boat at its new cost. Basically meaning that instead of geico paying the estimaed value of a 2 year old Hobie, they will pay out the full value of the Pro Angler for the first 4 years of coverage. The policy slso covers anything attached to the kayak at the time it was stolen or damaged. (gear tracks, fish finders, rod holders, or anything else). They also have coverage for damage done by temperature but I held of on getting that. All that coverage is $125 a year!. For the peace of mind alone its worth it.

Ive been really wanting to look into this as well, Im trying to find out if allstate has it
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Im picking it up from backyard boats saturday so I am trying to get everything taken care of before then. Also I get a multi policy discount on my auto insurance.

Comment

What exactly does it cover? For example, if you crack a hull is it covered? What about damaged fins through normal use? Or is it just like a theft/accident type thing? If it is on your car and you get in a wreck, isn't it covered under your auto insurance? Questions that get answered when something bad happens are not a good way to find out :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Very good point yak fish. I will be starting the policy tomorrow and these are all great questions to ask.

Comment

http://www.seaworthyinsurance.com

that is the company geico actually uses. Not much info in regards to fine print but I will get all the details and report back tomorrow.

Comment

In response to Yakfish's question about what does boat coverage cover, i offer the following; Based on my experience when the boat is trailered/hauled it is covered under your auto policy (a friend of mine had his Ranger bass boat t-boned at an intersection one morning driving to the ramp - the auto policy covered it)...i was fishing the Potomac River out of my fiberglass bass boat several years ago, when the tornado that ripped through the Waldorf area hit...I made a run for the park in Mattawoman, quickly tied my boat off to the docks and ran like hell for the block bath houses...when the skies cleared i returned to my boat to find it pushed up under the docks, the windshield destroyed, the electronics, both on the bow & at the cockpit destroyed & some minor gelcoat damage from the boat being beat on by the bottom of the docks...My Boat Insurance covered it all...repairs, new electronics and a check for replacing lost gear. I was told at the time "if you strike something with your hull or outboard while under power...repairs would be covered"...I dont know if that applies to Hobie peddle drives however? Certainly not normal wear & tear.
              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I'm glad you posted this because I inquired about coverage with Geico some time last year and at the time they seemed to be unsure if they even covered kayaks. I was told that they did not cover kayaks because they were not motorized. So I gave up and made sure that it was covered under my home policy. Now that you posted this I will call and inquire again. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
                  In response to Yakfish's question about what does boat coverage cover, i offer the following; Based on my experience when the boat is trailered/hauled it is covered under your auto policy (a friend of mine had his Ranger bass boat t-boned at an intersection one morning driving to the ramp - the auto policy covered it)...i was fishing the Potomac River out of my fiberglass bass boat several years ago, when the tornado that ripped through the Waldorf area hit...I made a run for the park in Mattawoman, quickly tied my boat off to the docks and ran like hell for the block bath houses...when the skies cleared i returned to my boat to find it pushed up under the docks, the windshield destroyed, the electronics, both on the bow & at the cockpit destroyed & some minor gelcoat damage from the boat being beat on by the bottom of the docks...My Boat Insurance covered it all...repairs, new electronics and a check for replacing lost gear. I was told at the time "if you strike something with your hull or outboard while under power...repairs would be covered"...I dont know if that applies to Hobie peddle drives however? Certainly not normal wear & tear.
                  Great info thanks!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
                    I'm glad you posted this because I inquired about coverage with Geico some time last year and at the time they seemed to be unsure if they even covered kayaks. I was told that they did not cover kayaks because they were not motorized. So I gave up and made sure that it was covered under my home policy. Now that you posted this I will call and inquire again. Thanks.

No problem. I called today and got all the details on the coverage. The policy covers theft of the kayak and anything attached to it at the time it is stolen as long as you have pictures proving what all is mounted on the kayak. They said no receipts are required, just photos. The theft can or damage can occur anywhere and everything. Normal wear and tear is not covered. The deductible is $500. I got the insurance for theft purposes and in my opinion paying the 500 is way better then taking a total loss on the kayak and paying $3000+ to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                    X