Kayak Trolling Tutorial with Jeff Little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Trolling Tutorial with Jeff Little

Jeff asked if I'd make a video with him showing effective methods for trolling with a kayak for rockfish. This includes setup, rod selection, lure selection and probable fish locations. I was more than happy to spend the day with Jeff catching some really nice stripers. Jeff just finished the video and he's making it available for free for 24 hours. I love Jeff's videos, especially ones with me in it! This one's great and should answer most of your questions about trolling in your yak. If you guys like it, maybe we'll have to do a follow up. After this, all my secrets will be out....or are they

Enjoy

https://tightlinejunkiejournal.pivot...a/7233/feature

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Video doe s not open ?

Comment

Thanks for a great tutorial! Makes me wish I had a GPS with my fish finder…... I guess i'll just have to rely on the one in my brain (it's getting a little rusty)
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good little video Yak Fish. I am going to do the same setup with my trolling rods forward on my PA. What rod holders do you have and do they work with baitcasters as well?

Comment

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
          Good little video Yak Fish. I am going to do the same setup with my trolling rods forward on my PA. What rod holders do you have and do they work with baitcasters as well?
          I use Scotty rod holders. Don't cheap out on these. They take a lot of stress and the last thing you want is a broken rod holder and lost rod to match. The Scotty's have a rotating collar at the end which is nice to make sure your rod doesn't come out. That saved me last week. I got snagged while making a turn and the line was off to the side which pulled the rod straight outward....close call. You want to make sure you can get your rod out in a hurry.

I use baitcasters in there as well with no problem. In the fall I troll larger setups so I use stiffer rods on bait casters. In fact, the baitcasters fit better.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
            Thanks for a great tutorial! Makes me wish I had a GPS with my fish finder…... I guess i'll just have to rely on the one in my brain (it's getting a little rusty)
            For me, GPS is one of the most important tools, if not the most important tool that I use. On the open water there are no points of reference and nearly impossible to find the same spot twice. Fish tend to stay in the same spots from season to season so don't try and relocate them. Mark the spots and return next time. Develop your key spots and fish them each time you return, and try to locate new ones. That'll maximize your fishing time and you'll catch way more fish each time you go out.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Nice video I'm with you on seeing the tips I'm set up a little different but I see both my rod tips at all times.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for showing me how effective this approach can be Alan! I do very well with jigging, but there are times when they just aren't tight to any structure. This is usually as the current goes a little slack. When it's ripping hard, I want a pin point presentation of a 1 to 2 oz jig head and soft plastic where I see marks right below me. But I've struggled when the current loosens up. This tactic will fill in those gaps very well. It will also mean that there is no down time when I am traveling from spot to spot (usually drop off, bridge piling, creek channel or other structure that pinches and accelerates current). I am eager to learn more from you as we move later into spring. Thanks again!
                Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

The other thing that I've kind of taken for granted is that similar to Shawn Kimbro's philosophy of Light Tackle Jigging, this is Light Tackle Trolling. Most people associate trolling for rockfish with heavy broomstick rods and ounces and ounces of weight with huge rigs. To me, that takes the fun out of the fishing and the fight. I'd much rather catch a 40" striper on a bass rod and you absolutely can. The biggest fish in the bay will take the same lures we showed in the video.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Love Jeffs videos.
                    Can the video be downloaded?
                    Or is it available on you tube?
                    My laptop lags like crazy and I have my tv setup to you tube where it automatcally plays through the tv.
                    HD you tube videos on a 60" plasma is sweet!!
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Great video. I have never trolled the bay for stripers in a kayak. I hope to try this year. This was very timely for me and very informative.

Thanks for making and giving us a preview.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

The only question I still have for an experienced troller is: how do you control the depth of your lures. I'm familiar with counting out more line, which if you're in 10 ft of water isn't really too tricky, I'm thinking more like if you're targeting fish in like 40ft or so?

Do you have line marked on your reel?

Anyone ever use lead core line?
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                          The only question I still have for an experienced troller is: how do you control the depth of your lures. I'm familiar with counting out more line, which if you're in 10 ft of water isn't really too tricky, I'm thinking more like if you're targeting fish in like 40ft or so?

Do you have line marked on your reel?

Anyone ever use lead core line?
                          I like to troll diving plugs so that's easy. I usually troll at about a cast or half a cast away. If you are looking to get 40' down, that's not really practical with a plug. 25' is about the deepest you could expect with a plug.
                          I don't troll very deep on weighted lures, like lead heads because you need too much weight to get down there. But for the heavier umbrellas I use a rod and reel setup with a line counter.
                          For really deep waters, a kayak really isn't that practical unless you want to hang 16 oz of weight off the back which is more like an anchor for us at that point.
                          Last edited by Yak Fish; 03-11-2014, 07:55 AM.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Great video. I am new to this site and just got my Ivory Dune Outback last year. Your explanations on equipment and techniques for finding fish are outstanding. I hope to see you on the water sometime.

Comment

Nice work!!
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X