Help me keep a friend, my friend.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me keep a friend, my friend.....

So, with my vast background of kayak fishing (er... Been out only 6 times.....), a friend has come up to me and asked "what is a good, cheap, safe way to start kayak fishing in lakes. With the possibility of going out into the bay on really calm days.

I think his budget is around 300 for the yak. What do you guys think of Dick's stuff: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...earchSort=TRUE

I've told him: sit on top, around 8 feet long, get it used, if posible. What else?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

If he wants to go in the bay should get atleast 10' kayak but 12' would be better. I would advise staying away from the kayaks in your link...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm going to give a little different perspective than Ryan. I would say that any of those kayaks are just fine on lakes, and you could use them in sheltered areas of the bay on calm days. That's exactly how I got my start. i paid about 300 bucks for a cheap sit inside that I still have and use as a buddy kayak from time to time. I wanted to know if that style of fishing was for me. I outgrew it in about a season and bougth a kayak that could grow with me. Two Hobies and a sit inside kayak later, I think I've got the right setup :-)

I would encourage your buddy to buy a preowned one. There's plenty around and he'll get a lot of bang for his buck. There will probably be some extras included as well.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I just said to stay away from the ones in the link as you can get a much better kayak for about the same amount used. So tell him to keep a look out on craigslist
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          I just said to stay away from the ones in the link as you can get a much better kayak for about the same amount used. So tell him to keep a look out on craigslist
          I'll go along with that, agreed.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Well positive side to the yaks from Dick's is that they will float! LOL I would really tell him to go to a demo day and maybe rent a yak or 2 before he plops down some cash. I see time and time again that guys just wanna get to the water and then less than a half a season later are ready to trade up! So if he tries a few, from the lower end on up he can immediately tell the difference. Maybe even go to a lake or area that rents kayaks and get him something cheap and you guys can switch halfway through.

Comment

8 ft yak? if he is a full grown man that should just about end his fascination with kayaking. Turtling HIGHLY likely, speed non existent, ability to fish...nada.
              If you get the right length I would think any of the Dicks SOT (12 ft best) would pique his interest and serve him safely (many guys here got started in Eagle Talons and Ascend SOT). If he got a Pompano from West Marine (basically a tarpon 120) he could fish out of it happily for years and paddle as fast as anyone out there! PM Dogfish for any impending sales from west marine...he got me one for 399.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Minimum 12 ft ........save your money for a good one ........ Try out a few

Comment

I started with a 9.5' SIK and did just fine on the river, even in 1-2' wind blown chop. Caveat, by the time I got up the courage to do that I had logged MANY hours in that boat and knew my own limits. I always wear my PFD and carry a full complement of safety gear including a safety knife and VHF in addition to the required items. I still would not take it out on the bay, but it would be great for smaller lakes or (relatively) still water fishing.
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                  X