Potomac river help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac river help please

Hi guys, I have never fished the potomac and I want to change that this year. I have a few questions I hope you guys can help with. From what I can see on google maps the potomac is mainly thru VA?
    Where's a good launch area for LG and SM mouth bass on the MD side?
    Where's a good reference area that I'll need a VA license on the river?
    I'm new to the potomac and want to do it right thanks guys

Matty, I cannot comment on the best places to fish on the MD side as I fish the from the Va side although numerous members of this forum seem to fish Mattawomen creek. The Virginia State line is at the waters edge on the Virginia side . In other words, the entire river is in Maryland or the District of Columbia and way up River West Va comes into play but I am assuming we are talking tidal Potomac. . If you fish up river from the Wilson bridge up to the chain bridge you need a District of Colombia license. If you are above chain bridge or below the Wilson to the 301 bridge you need a VA or MD freshwater lic. MD and VA have reciprocity agreements and honor lic. from the other state where the waters have a shared border. . Below the 301 bridge you may need a salt water lic but I am not 100% on this and I am sure another member will chime in and correct me. This forum has a lot of knowledgable members and if you key word search you will find a plethora of information regarding areas it fish on the MD side. If you at fishing tidal Potomac there are a bunch of species to target to include channel cat, blue cat, LMB, SMB, Rock fish Aka stripe bass, and snake head to name a few.
    Last edited by Moschedmi; 03-12-2014, 11:34 PM.
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

What areas? I am an Upper Potomac guy. We do Float trips in Washington and Frederick Counties for Smallies.

A Maryland Licenses gets you all over the river, but DC. Va has an exchange program you have to register to fish tidal area with your Maryland license. Read online to get details and register for areas you can use your MD license in VA waters, once registered. I don't remember if its just the bay or all tidal areas.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Below the Wilson to 301 either a MD or VA TIDAL WATER license is required. Better yet, a Potomac River Fisheries Comm license as it's only $10, cheaper than either state and covers the same waters. Mattawoman Cr offers excellent fishing and just may be the best creek on the Potomac. Kayak launch from Slavins (Indianhead, MD) as it's free and in the no-wake area of the creek which helps with avoiding boats running around on plane. You can fish either direction from the ramp, several miles if you go left (as you leave the ramp) and the same if you go right but then it's only about a 1/4 mile to the end of the no-wake zone and you will have to content with fast moving boats.
        Last edited by bruce19365; 03-13-2014, 07:46 AM.
        HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

I have been fishing the Potomac for years. You have to divide the Potomac into two haves, the Tidal Potomac, and the Upper Potomac. The dividing line is the dam at little falls. Smallies dominate the Upper sections, there a few walleye, Musky, some LMB, Channel Cats, and lot's of sunfish thrown in). LMB and Snakehead dominate the Tidal stretches but you can also get stripers, Blue and Channel cats, bluegill, crappie, yellow perch and white perch.

Like Archeryrob says, Md and Va have reciprocal agreements as far as the tidal section goes. So long as you are in tidal water, you may fish anywhere on the tidal Potomac with a Md or Va (if you are on river (basically Chain Bridge Gorge downstream to WW Bridge ) in DC, you have to buy DC license) license. The Agreement extends to the Upper Potomac as well , but only covers the main stem. You cannot go into Virginia Tribs like goose creek with a Md. license, or Maryland tribs like Monocacy river, with a Va. License.

Launch areas on Tidal Potomac are numerous:

DC Gravelly Point, Thompsons Boat Center, Fletchers Boat House

Va. Jones Point Park, Belle Haven Marina, Pohick Regional Park,

Md. Ft Washington, Piscataway Park, Slavins, Mallows Bay,

For the upper Section: (From Brunswick Md south.) There's more upstream but it's a long ride.

Md . Brunswick, Lander, Point of Rocks, Nolands Ferry, Edwards Ferry, White's Ferry, Seneca Creek at Rileys Lock Rd. Violet Lock, Swainslock,

Va. Riverbend Park, Algonkian Park , Luckett's,
          Last edited by Runnin; 03-13-2014, 07:55 AM.
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

What Runnin said! Also, check out the May Meet & Greet, upper Potomac smallies.

-Mike
            Mike
            Feelfree Lure 11.5
            Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

The part I have an interest in is the section between the Legion bridge and Chain Bridge Gorge. Any one fish the big pool and rock garden just downstream from the bridge. It looks awesome. Access is tough though from those tiny pulloffs on canal road.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                The part I have an interest in is the section between the Legion bridge and Chain Bridge Gorge. Any one fish the big pool and rock garden just downstream from the bridge. It looks awesome. Access is tough though from those tiny pulloffs on canal road.
                I'd do a trip there with you. I've never fished there but I built a house last year at the end of Wapakoneta Rd off MacArthur Blvd right at the Little Falls dam. That area of the river is just beautiful, I'd find myself just staring down at the water wishing I had a yak with me. I'm picking up a used Moken 10 Lite for just those occasions, I'd love get out there this year!

-Mike
                Mike
                Feelfree Lure 11.5
                Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                  I have been fishing the Potomac for years. You have to divide the Potomac into two haves, the Tidal Potomac, and the Upper Potomac. The dividing line is the dam at little falls. Smallies dominate the Upper sections, there a few walleye, Musky, some LMB, Channel Cats, and lot's of sunfish thrown in). LMB and Snakehead dominate the Tidal stretches but you can also get stripers, Blue and Channel cats, bluegill, crappie, yellow perch and white perch.

Like Archeryrob says, Md and Va have reciprocal agreements as far as the tidal section goes. So long as you are in tidal water, you may fish anywhere on the tidal Potomac with a Md or Va (if you are on river (basically Chain Bridge Gorge downstream to WW Bridge ) in DC, you have to buy DC license) license. The Agreement extends to the Upper Potomac as well , but only covers the main stem. You cannot go into Virginia Tribs like goose creek with a Md. license, or Maryland tribs like Monocacy river, with a Va. License.

Launch areas on Tidal Potomac are numerous:

DC Gravelly Point, Thompsons Boat Center, Fletchers Boat House

Va. Jones Point Park, Belle Haven Marina, Pohick Regional Park,

Md. Ft Washington, Piscataway Park, Slavins, Mallows Bay,

For the upper Section: (From Brunswick Md south.) There's more upstream but it's a long ride.

Md . Brunswick, Lander, Point of Rocks, Nolands Ferry, Edwards Ferry, White's Ferry, Seneca Creek at Rileys Lock Rd. Violet Lock, Swainslock,

Va. Riverbend Park, Algonkian Park , Luckett's,

Runnin,
                  Where is the Luckett's launch site?
                  Bruce

Comment

I mostly fish the tidal Potomac...and its creeks. Lots of places to catch fish and lots of different ways to do it. The main thing is learning the areas and where fish hold at the different stages of the tides, water temps, etc. the more I fish an area and learn what works, when and under what weather conditions, the more I eat fish...PRFC regs for flounder are 16 inch minimum and four in possession...spring striper season is April 19- May 5th below Harry Nice (Rt. 301) Bridge- everything is same as last year- minimum 28 inches one possession, no culling, no live eels...
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-14-2014, 07:59 AM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
                      Runnin,
                      Where is the Luckett's launch site?
                      Bruce
                      The launch at lucket's is underneath the bridge at POR on rt 15 on the Va side of the river. If you are heading over the bridge towards Va, hang first right past bridge and launch is the next right.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I didn't realize they called that Luckett's. The little community of Lucketts is about 4 miles south of there so I thought maybe there was a launch there which would put you further down river from the POR bridge. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
                          I didn't realize they called that Luckett's. The little community of Lucketts is about 4 miles south of there so I thought maybe there was a launch there which would put you further down river from the POR bridge. Thanks...
                          Is there a launch near Balls Bluff battlefield where White's Ferry crosses river in the Va. side. That's darn close to Leesburg.
                          Hurricane Skimmer 128
                          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Paddling.net says you can launch at White's Ferry for $2.

http://www.paddling.net/launches/sho...html?lid=15121
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                              Paddling.net says you can launch at White's Ferry for $2.

http://www.paddling.net/launches/sho...html?lid=15121
                              Paddling .net is wrong. It is at least 5$ and I think they might have even raised it beyond that. It's a shame becusae there a really nice section north of White's ferry that I love to fish.
                              Hurricane Skimmer 128
                              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                              X