Adventure Fishing World Championship -- Regional Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure Fishing World Championship -- Regional Tournaments

As I mentioned to a few folks during the last Meet & Greet, this past February, I participated in the Adventure Fishing World Championship held in the Everglades -- Flamingo, FL. It's a unique, artificial-only, CPR event that requires 2-person teams to paddle, pedal, or pole to checkpoints located at various locations within the Park. Teams that catch at least one of the target species -- redfish, trout, or snook -- at 3 or more checkpoints qualify to place in the tournament. The 2014 tournament started at approximately 8 AM, and a map disclosing the exact locations of the checkpoints was released to each of the ~50 teams at that time. The tournament ended at 5 PM. In all, my teammate (my brother) and I made it to 3 of the 4 established checkpoints and pedaled/paddled around 20 miles in the process. The fish weren't biting for us that day, and only 3 of roughly 50 teams caught fish at 3 checkpoints. Nevertheless, it was a fantastic experience under very challenging conditions, which included portages and close encounters with crocs, gators, and bull sharks. My brother and I knew in advance that the tournament would be grueling, so we elected to both take a set of pedals. He took the Hobie Outback, and the guys at Delaware Paddlesports hooked me up with a Native Slayer Propel. Without the pedals, I am confident that we would have really struggled to reach 3 checkpoints.

So, why all the background? Well, the tournament directors have decided to create a number of regional tournaments that follow the same general format as the AFWC, although it appears they will require less paddling. Registration just opened for a regional tournament in New Jersey on May 31 targeting bluefish, fluke, and striped bass. http://adventurefishingworldchampion...m/?page_id=642 I'm registered, and it would be great to see a few other teams from Snaggedline there too. It looks like they'll be holding regionals in other locations as well, e.g., North Carolina.
    Golden Papaya Outback

Thanks for that information. I was not aware that any Snaggedline members had participated in the event.

Native Watercraft is the primary sponsor of the AFWC, although participants can use any brand of kayak they choose. Last year they videographed the event and produced a video movie -- I posted a link to that several months ago. A link to that video can be found on MD Dore's post. I believe they plan to do the same thing for this year's events. Quite a few of the Native Pro Staff members from Florida and nearby states participated in the event. They had a great time but mentioned that the conditions and long paddle/pedal/poling/carrying distances within the tournament route made for tough fishing.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Here is a link to another first-hand report from one of the second place team. It sounds pretty rugged.

http://www.yakangler.com/tournaments...afwc-2nd-place
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X