Quick safety shout out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick safety shout out

Was at the Wilson bridge yesterday. Saw a guy in a sit inside kayak putting in. He had no PDF, was in a short sleeved shirt, no skirt and paddled straight out into the main channel and out sight. The water was roughly 43 degrees (still deadly) and the winds were predicted to kick up pretty bad, which they did. I tried to yell out to him but he seemed to brush off my warning.

Just a quick reminder and safety shout out. Proper gear and always check the wind/weather.

Last edited by camelbird; 03-16-2014, 10:52 AM.

He'll be a sad statistic if he keeps that up.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Comment

Comment

Guys have no idea until you have been in that water and sometimes once they are, its too late for them. I see it on the duck hunting sites, many guys are too "manly" to wear a PFD. Good thing now it many guys are starting to beat on them on these sites also. Even pointing out a manual inflation vest is useless if your knocked out or the CO2 cartridge is old or fails.
          Last edited by archeryrob; 03-18-2014, 07:02 AM.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Keep beating that drum bro! You're doing a good service!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

After watching a sailboat explode, burn, and sink yesterday, I was reminded of a somewhat similar unplanned series of events that my wife and I went through a few years ago. When the occupants of that sailboat jumped out and swam to shore, I hoped that the chilly water wouldn't finish what the explosion and fire started. It wasn't pretty.

But, I wrote an article about our ordeal. This is pretty much a list of things NOT to do. Trust me, I roll a lot differently now ...

Are you near a restaurant?
              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
              ~ Henry David Thoreau ~

Hobie Revolution (2)
              Emotion Mojo Angler

Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
              Paddle Fishing Articles
              Paddle_Fishing@Yahoo.com

Comment

Saw this on another kayak fishing site:

http://sortieenmer.com

Doesn't even take cold water into it.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13