Susquehanna Flats April 15th-17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna Flats April 15th-17th

I'm gonna start looking into getting a flotilla going on the weekend of April 15th-17th. Keep your eyes on this thread for updates. It's going to be on a couple other forums as well. I'm going to take a ride down to the Elk Neck SP campground and see what's available for this weekend and what we can doo about launching from the beach.

For now, who's interested in coming down and fishing the C&R Season on the flats?

Mullet. I'll be on the flats every saturday, and maybe some sundays, during april. i plan on calling out of work during the week on good weather days as well. That saturday the 16th ill probably be out there by boat though.
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

MM,
      I can't come down until the last weekend of April. I'll definitely be there then for several days.
      " All who wander are not lost"

Comment

I'll be there. I'm also trying to get up there the weekend before to scout out, maybe a few more in there. Let me know.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

should be able to make it

Comment

I'm interested.

Comment

there's a narrow window when the fish are up there. Does anyone know that window. I would think the 16th is on the tail end of it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                there's a narrow window when the fish are up there. Does anyone know that window. I would think the 16th is on the tail end of it.
                There is no one particular window, some years the bite can be on for a week, sometimes a month or more. The weather, dam releases, and the amount of run off in the northern reaches of the Susquehanna all play a huge part in the equation.

Last year there may have only been a couple of good "catching" days. I know of a lot of boat anglers who did well on cut bait thru most of the season. Me, almost exclusively artificials all the time, did not have a fish the whole season, but know a few who did well those few days.

Comment

In my opinion, It usually depends on the temp then the water flow then the clarity ....... and of course the number of spawning cows that seem to be dwindling fast ........ oh and the tons of boat traffic ...........

I got 1 in the shallows when they were chasing herring and there was a ton of boat traffic in the channels .......... gulls diving and a couple of topwater busts at the end of April in the shallows by a channel .....

Got 2 another year w/cut bait within sight of the Havre De Grace ramp ..........

Both times the water temp was rising, gates passing water and the water was not muddy and it was sunny ........

Comment

Last year I went during C&R and didn't have any luck after 2 trips. I was pretty green when I went out. This year I'd like to think I'm better prepared, but without catching that first big fish, I'm still guessing.

Like you said about the channels...it was full of boat traffic. I was trying to concentrate on them, but I had to give up because I was in the way. I ended up trolling the flats below the exit of the river. I could see fish on the FF but no luck.

I am determined this year to catch one and plan on taking off from work during optimal times to try and make it happen. So it's likely that I'll catch up with you guys that weekend.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Just remember ......... use BIG lures ...... these fish are eating Herring and shad ........ a foot long lure is not too big .......... large BA'a, sluggo's, poppers, Knuckleheads, musky lures, hoagy's

Comment

I'm coming prepared with some jointed creek chub plugs, umbrella rigs, some parachutes with 6" grub trailers, surgical tubes. Last year I was fishing small stuff, but I've stocked up for this season

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

OK, just got a big bunning at work. I can not take off the 15th, they are sending one of our other mechanics out to Ohio for training that week. Not a problem for the weekend, just Friday...if you're going to make plans to be there Friday, please continue to do so, I may finagle my way out of work early somehow. If nothing else, we can have a little bit of a get together that night and discuss Saturday/Sunday plans.

SO... I may take off the 18th and fish Monday as well for any that want to stay til then.

I'm going to ride down to Elk Neck this week and speak with someone face to face about the beach area. Worst comes to worst, we have to drive to a launch site.

Comment

Mullet- let us know about the kayak launch, hopefully it will be available. We have our m&g planned for the weekend before up there, I'm not sure if it's still on though. If we can't launch by the swim beach where would you suggest we launch?
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Her are some launch options:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/hdg_insert.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X