Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal drive on regular kayak

could this be the next big thing??
    yes weights more, and more $$...but could be worth it.
    wonder how would this affect he speed

Is this something you came up with, or did you see it somewhere? If you saw it on the web, could you put up a link? If you designed it, can you put up some details? Is this a paddle wheel?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Too much trouble IMO.

Buy one with that already has pedals, add a trolling motor, or try one of these:

http://h2proped.com/index.htm

I have no affiliation with them and never tried one - but it looks like the problem may have been solved.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Good luck with that ......... You'd be pedaling with your legs wide open ......... You'd be using a lot of muscles you don't usually use and probably cramping ....... And how would you get the pedal to go all the way around. With all pedal systems, you have 1 pedal pushing to a point where the other takes over and pushes to a point where the first 1 takes back over ....... Ie 1 pushes while the other drifts ........ And then there is the stress on the yak and equipment from the fulcrum like design. ....... But it would be nice if someone did come up with an effective design ....... It would break Hobies grip ion the industry

Comment

The image looks like two Native Propel drives with one pedal removed on each and a hypothetical bent crank shaft connecting them. It looks inefficient. I agree with the previous poster who suggests buying a kayak that was designed to work with pedals. Also by moving the crank shafts away from the hub with the hypothetical extension, you would probably introduce excessive torque that would prematurely wear the bearings/gears in the crankshaft hub.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks like a joke of some sort, it's not even connected to the kayak. Pedals need to be closer, and lower. As for now, Hobie has a secure grip on the peddle propulsion style kayaks. Native is the only one coming close so far....and it's taken a while. This thing is bulky, would be in the way more often than not, and can't be any where near as efficient as a Hobie or the Native.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              The image looks like two Native Propel drives with one pedal removed on each and a hypothetical bent crank shaft connecting them.
              Ah ha, now I see it.

That h2proped that Skidsteer posted the link to looks interesting though.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                Too much trouble IMO.

Buy one with that already has pedals, add a trolling motor, or try one of these:

I have no affiliation with them and never tried one - but it looks like the problem may have been solved.

Wow. I've got to say, I got a little excited to see that. Too bad it is over $800. It would make more sense to sell or trade a paddle kayak to get one actually designed for pedaling.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                  Too much trouble IMO.

Yeah, except you're throwing nearly $1000 extra into an add on that was not engineered for any specific yak. Add that to the price of a decent boat and you're looking at at Hobie or Native. Interesting concept though.
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                    Yeah, except you're throwing nearly $1000 extra into an add on that was not engineered for any specific yak.
                    Not much different than attaching a trolling motor with PVC and/or 2x4's. In both cases you're adding a propulsion device to something that wasn't engineered with that in mind.

I think its great. Sure it won't work on all yaks, but those that it will work with its an easy way to add additional propulsion without having to add the cost of a whole new boat. And since nothing is permanently installed so you can easily transfer to another boat.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

this is just and idea, a new concept which can be achieved by someone handy and who has access to cheap materials.
                      there's a gentleman building similar concept, and with some tweaking great things can be achieved.
                      here are some more ideas for those who like to think outside the box

and some for mirage fans

Comment

Cheap materials ? .......... the Mirage Drive that he is using costs $600 alone .......

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          Cheap materials ? .......... the Mirage Drive that he is using costs $600 alone .......
                          i was referring to prop picture.

Comment

I think he means to design/build something different like in the original post.

Comment

I don't know much or really anything about the Hobie fins but that looks like a pretty solid idea. Not sure if the rope so low on the pedals is as effective as it could be. Unless it needs to be lower for torque there is a lot of pedal movement for only a few inches of rope pull.

The bicycle gear DIY above that looks pretty good too but looks like it would be in the way a lot. The angle too looks as though it would be like biking with your chest on the handlebar.

Either way, certainly some good innovation with both.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X