his is a great read about the debate

I agree with this outlook . Be friendly n set n example
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

That was a good read...thanks for sharing.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I agree with the money observation I think that for many fishers it comes down to simple preference and what kind of fishing you do. I can do cartwheels around Hobie boats in the Seneca breaks on the Potomac. On the bay, I can see the huge advantage peddles provide keeping position while fishing against current and wind.

I like.yakking as it is a minimalist pusuit. I like throwing my boat on the truck and going. No trailering , boat ramps, mechanical breakdowns. Some of these yaks are like poly bass boats with all the gizmos. I also have a bass boat and for me I'll stay with the paddle. Money's not the issue.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I just laugh and shake my head when the guy tells me my pa is not a yak ...... When his is not made of whale bone and seal skin but the same plastic as mine ........... I totally agree we should not judge each other's preferences

Comment

Ya know, I don't really care what you call it, a yak, a boat, a pontoon. Hahaha, perhaps labels are the issue. I didn't even know there was a perceived issue, but I'm a grown man that has never really cared what anyone else thinks and chances are slim that I start. I make no claims whatsoever except that I'm a fisherman. I will fish from the best "vessel" from my perspective that gets me to the fish. I hope one day they come up with one that flies which will really confuse the debate I think I now have the very best combination "for me." A pedal kayak with a motor and some fancy electronics. It is pure awesomeness. I've never been on a better fishing vessel for what I do, period. I can now fish silently, get right up into some hairy situations and move around pretty quickly...too bad it's not jet boat speed, its only downside. Certainly I've spent a bit of money on it as my yak is probably worth more than my truck, but work hard = play hard. I'm a bit of a workaholic so I'll make no excuses for my expensive toy. So for someone to judge based on money, that's too bad they don't consider the sacrifices people make.

For me to tell someone that they should go buy what I have would be ridiculous...they may not even fish like me or have the same needs. So the debate paddle vs peddle is a bunch of guys blowing hot air. Buy what makes you happy. For me, paddling makes me sad. It just doesn't meet my needs and I'd fish much less.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            I just laugh and shake my head when the guy tells me my pa is not a yak ...... When his is not made of whale bone and seal skin but the same plastic as mine ........... I totally agree we should not judge each other's preferences
            Guys at work say the same about my outback when they see it rigged up. It doesn't look like a kayak to them the way they know it. Fair enough, I'll call it whatever. Personal watercraft seems too much like a jet ski. Yakboat, kayboat, yakped, fishcraft, striper mobile...I dunno, let's start a contest to name one. The sport is evolving before our eyes and it's a pretty exciting time so the need for a word hasn't come up. We can be the ones to coin it!

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I've been kayak fishing for 12+ years. I don't see the need to come up with a term/name other than kayak fishing. I've fished out of my first boat; which was a 9' sink, and my whitewater Dagger Outlaw. Fishing out of a short kayak is a PITA...I look forward to getting a Hobie in the next couple weeks or so. I have zero desire to get anything that isn't human propulsion.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I must agree, it really does not matter what you call it. Each person should get what suits them and their own needs and not really worry about what someone else is using. In other parts of the world kayaks are called canoes. So are we really using canoes. Of course not, a kayak is generic. There are many type boats, sail, power, inflatable, diesel, gas, electric, propane and so on, but they are all boats. Kayaks are just a really neat light craft that are fun to fish from. What is really interesting is how creative some folks are about how they rig their "vessels," regardless of configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  but work hard = play hard. I'm a bit of a workaholic so I'll make no excuses for my expensive toy. So for someone to judge based on money, that's too bad they don't consider the sacrifices people make.
                  +1
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I'm not sure why paddle-yakkers and peddle-yakkers squabble when they could just join forces to bash those of us with electric trolling motors.

Hell, I'm just in it for the fishing.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

its all for fun for me.. ive owned both. and theres time i wish i had the other.

calm days i prefer to paddle. i enjoy moving my self along the water..
                      those days im in it to get out and rip lips i want the peddal to cover water. windy days as well

i just love the idea of being so close to the water.. and electronics is all about putting me in the best position to catch fish. i could have got the 5 inch lowrance most PAs have. but i went with the elite 4, bc i dont really use the depth finder to find fish.. i use it for depth and the chart ploter so i can mark the submerged structure for later date.

i never look down on anyone whos out to fish, i prefer u to tag along so i can teach you what i know, and learn from you and how you fish all in the same trip.

fishing is a bond by all... there are those who ruin it, like people in the 60k bass boats want to come up and run you out bc your in a kayak. but theres a ton of people who think our rigs are amazing. and are interested.

we should all act the same. each one of us has a unique design and style to fishing.. and i enjoy looking at each person on this site and how their rig up their yak. I get ideas from everyone its awesome.

to me we are all a family just out to have a good time and truly and enjoy our passion to the fullest.. bc lets me honest bank fishing is terrible.
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Isn't it about getting your yak on the water, you on the yak and finding fish?

Paddle, peddle, motor, sail or not. We are all involved in the same awesome, enjoyable sport.

Enjoy!!
                        ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                          its all for fun for me.. ive owned both. and theres time i wish i had the other.

calm days i prefer to paddle. i enjoy moving my self along the water..
                          those days im in it to get out and rip lips i want the peddal to cover water. windy days as well

i just love the idea of being so close to the water.. and electronics is all about putting me in the best position to catch fish. i could have got the 5 inch lowrance most PAs have. but i went with the elite 4, bc i dont really use the depth finder to find fish.. i use it for depth and the chart ploter so i can mark the submerged structure for later date.

i never look down on anyone whos out to fish, i prefer u to tag along so i can teach you what i know, and learn from you and how you fish all in the same trip.

fishing is a bond by all... there are those who ruin it, like people in the 60k bass boats want to come up and run you out bc your in a kayak. but theres a ton of people who think our rigs are amazing. and are interested.

we should all act the same. each one of us has a unique design and style to fishing.. and i enjoy looking at each person on this site and how their rig up their yak. I get ideas from everyone its awesome.

to me we are all a family just out to have a good time and truly and enjoy our passion to the fullest.. bc lets me honest bank fishing is terrible.
                          Amen brother!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X