Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How wide is a fishing kayak + gear + kayak cart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wide is a fishing kayak + gear + kayak cart?

Hi all,

Please get out your tape measures. How wide is a fishing kayak + gear + kayak cart?

We're widening the pedestrian gap in the ballfield fence in Shadyside Park in Shadyside, MD. (Shadyside is south of Annapolis and north of Deale.) The existing gap is too narrow for my naked ~22 wide sea kayak, let alone my sea kayak on a kayak cart. There are hilarious photos of us trying to wedge our sea kayaks through that narrow gap because we have to go through that gap to get to the put-in.

How wide does the pedestrian gap have to be to allow fishing kayaks on carts to go through the gap without taking your boats off the wheels?

Thanks

Lisa

photo(29).jpg

I think my Big Rig is one of the widest made at 37"
    -Dan Goddard, 2014 desert camo Jackson Big Rig

Comment

How wide is the whole kayak + kayak cart combo?

Thanks

Lisa

Comment

Mine is 29.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

A 48 inch wide opening (4') would be more than enough and it would be a standard size- my Outback is 33 inches wide and the scupper cart plugs in so it fits under the kayak- the big beach wheels add a few inches, but to be safe 4' would accomadate everyone's setup-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

ProAnglers are 38" wide.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
              ProAnglers are 38" wide.
              Is that with or without the beer cooler outrigger pontoon?

Lisa

Comment

Without ........ 38" is just the advertised width for the Pro Angler you will need at least 2 ft for 2 pontoons that are not extended ....... The PA is the widest I know but there are a bunch of them out there but very few with outriggers

Comment

I think all of the Pontoon systems are made to disassemble or raise up for transportation. The ProAngler is the widest kayak out there that I know of.
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                    I think all of the Pontoon systems are made to disassemble or raise up for transportation. The ProAngler is the widest kayak out there that I know of.
                    Are these the large or midsize Igloo pontoons?

So 48 inches is wide enough for the widest fishing kayak rigged out with gear and loaded on a kayak cart?

Shadyside is a good put-in now and it's going to be a great put-in after the county tweaks it a bit. The county is going to widen the pedestrian gap in the fence, improve the last ~30 feet to the water with gravel or mulch (not sand or small pea gravel) to stop it from turning into a muddy mess and put up some signs.

It's ~100 flat yards to the water from the parking lot. The county can't immediately put in a one-lane ~100 yard gravel access lane from the parking lot to the put-in because of new restrictions on new impermeable surfaces. Essentially if you want to put in new impermeable surface you have to remove impermeable surface somewhere else and gravel counts as impermeable surface. We haven't started peeling that onion yet.

Shadyside opens up new water. We can stay in Parish Creek and Hopkins Cove and land at Discovery Village and Shady Cove Natural Area or go out into the West River and the Bay. It's ~ 5 miles round trip to the beach at the new Jack Creek Park on the Bay.

See you on the water

Lisa

Comment

The Nucanoe Frontier is 41" wide, it's the widest that I know of. The cart would fit entirely underneath it. I agree that a 48" opening would be optimal.

-Mike
                      Mike
                      Feelfree Lure 11.5
                      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Thanks.

Here are the directions to Shadyside Park:

http://www.aacounty.org/recparks/par.../shadyside.cfm

There isn't a casual bar/restaurant within walking distance of the park, but there are a couple restaurants down on Snug Harbor Road. I haven't yet tried them out.

Lisa

Comment

Lisa

I'm not sure Pea gravel will be good for Kayaks that require carts for loading because the sink in unless they use Balloon tires that are made for sand. The optimal would be smething hard like railroad ties with long spikes about 2 ft wide into the earth to hold them for a hard surface with pea gravel or sand on either side of the walkway for those that drag their yaks. Pro anglers weight starts at 140 lbs and then you add gear so you need a cart.

But of course ....... we'll take what we can get and be VERY appreciative of the access

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                            Lisa

I'm not sure Pea gravel will be good for Kayaks that require carts for loading because the sink in unless they use Balloon tires that are made for sand. The optimal would be smething hard like railroad ties with long spikes about 2 ft wide into the earth to hold them for a hard surface with pea gravel or sand on either side of the walkway for those that drag their yaks. Pro anglers weight starts at 140 lbs and then you add gear so you need a cart.

But of course ....... we'll take what we can get and be VERY appreciative of the access
                            No worries, she said "not pea gravel".

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                            The county is going to widen the pedestrian gap in the fence, improve the last ~30 feet to the water with gravel or mulch (not sand or small pea gravel) to stop it from turning into a muddy mess and put up some signs.
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I'll double-check and see what material is being put down.

The county created a Water Trail Committee as an off-shoot of the Water Access Committee. It's a small committee and we're all volunteers. The long winter put everything behind schedule.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X