Honga river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honga river

Anyone trout fish the Honga? Could someone post some good GPS coordinates? Since there are few spotted's on the Southern MD side, I'll be making the trip across the bay this year. I've been fishing VA and South but the drive is getting to be too long. Need something closer. Maybe someone knows of something on the western side that produces specs. All or any information would be appreciated.

Fishin Bob
    Fishin Bob
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Carolina Skiff 18JVX

First, you have to post your GPS coordinates for your hotspots in VA

Search the boatyard though, quite a few reports from the Honga to be found in there.
    Brian

Comment

Oh there are people that fish the honga, and know it well. You'd have better luck getting their credit card and bank info before their speck spots on the honga!!!

Comment

GPS coordinates.....that's a good one. Like SlobberBob said, search previous reports and do a little NOAA map and google earth research. But most importantly get out and fish it. You'll learn more in the long run that way anyway. If you need help with tackle, lures, method many people on here will help you and probably volunteer to join you, but don't take it personally if exact spots are a larger secret than an extramarital affair.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I will +1 what ravenDfense posted, and will add that as you know, coordinates , if they were posted, would not guarantee Trout. What I would suggest is study how, when, where and what trout feed on. With that info you can target areas resembling the eastern shore area and cut and paste that info to areas such as points, back bay outlets and when they are feeding on shallow or flat areas. If you had success in Va you should be able to use the same information and Tehcniques on the west side. Good luck I hope they are plentiful this year. See you out there.

Comment

If your gonna drive to the shore, you might as well head a little further south to Crisfield/Janes Island State Park..

Comment

38.244496,-76.15049
              38.331814,-76.166926
              38.331633,-76.247951

Good Luck.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Wow! You'd a thought I'd asked for someones wife! I did not mean exact fishing spots; I meant general location. Sorry it sounded like I wanted anyone to do the work for me. I'll actually not be driving, I'll be skiffing out of Deale MD. Perhaps dragging the yak, weather dependent. As of now, there won't be much of anything if the water temp doesn't start to go up. I was out on Saturday in St. Georges and the lower Potomac. Temp was between 42-43. There were a few fish hanging out in the 22-25 ft range but mostly, it was a sight seeing trip for 2 hours.
                Fishin Bob
                Hobie Pro Angler 14
                Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  38.244496,-76.15049
                  38.331814,-76.166926
                  38.331633,-76.247951

Good Luck.
                  I'd take those coordinates to the bank.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

GPS to prime spots? LOL smh ;-)

Comment

Thanks. Iv'e got the general idea. I'll be rock fishing the main stream just west of of the Hooper 335 bridge and will slide over and take a look at the area. I've never fished there so am looking forward to it.
                      Fishin Bob
                      Hobie Pro Angler 14
                      Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

I fish the south end of the Honga quite a bit.... last few yrs speck fishing has been pretty good, last yr caught a few puppy drum

Comment

When you get there, I'd like to know how many miles , hours, and dollars it took to find the specks on your own. There's miles and miles of shoreline and square miles of weed beds, and some of it is productive and some not.

In the warm water months, I guide over there at least three days a week, weather permitting, some trips are kayak mothership trips and some are just fishing from my guide-boat. And I gotta tell ya, it takes time on the water to figure it all out. So we're not going to be freely giving out Longs and Lats .

Oh yeah, take bug spray......

And a GPS that displays your track so you can find your way back ......

And extra water....

And it might be good to not solo , because the locals are not used to watching out for kayaks......

The single best way to learn the area is to fish with an experienced yak, familiar with the area. Or hire a guide....and there are more choices than just me. I probably have more experience mothering yaks there than anyone else. Sure, you will pay the guide his/her daily fee. And it will seem an extravagance until you calculate how much you are going to spend getting to the same place on the learning curve without a guide, if you even ever get to that level of knowledge and skill. I typically depart from the western shore of Ches Bay, either Solomons or the PLO area which saves the cost/time of the long drive by car just to get there.

You'll figure it out, Good luck.
                          Last edited by Capt Brady Bounds; 04-30-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Brady Bounds View Post
                            When you get there, I'd like to know how many miles , hours, and dollars it took to find the specks on your own. There's miles and miles of shoreline and square miles of weed beds, and some of it is productive and some not.

In the warm water months, I guide over there at least three days a week, weather permitting, some trips are kayak mothership trips and some are just fishing from my guide-boat. And I gotta tell ya, it takes time on the water to figure it all out. So we're not going to be freely giving out Longs and Lats .

Oh yeah, take bug spray......

And a GPS that displays your track so you can find your way back ......

And extra water....

And it might be good to not solo , because the locals are not used to watching out for kayaks......

The single best way to learn the area is to fish with an experienced yak, familiar with the area. Or hire a guide....and there are more choices than just me. I probably have more experience mothering yaks there than anyone else. Sure, you will pay the guide his/her daily fee. And it will seem an extravagance until you calculate how much you are going to spend getting to the same place on the learning curve without a guide, if you even ever get to that level of knowledge and skill. I typically depart from the western shore of Ches Bay, either Solomons or the PLO area which saves the cost/time of the long drive by car just to get there.

You'll figure it out, Good luck.
                            Hey Cap: I'm not trying to horn in on anyone's area or get free information on particular spots. Your's is the kind of answer I'm interested in I'm sure not opposed to getting a ride over and dumping the yak in. What are your fees. Thanks for the tips. I am experienced in the yak and have fished the Chesapeake from the 50 bridge to the CBBT, Atlantic, Outer Banks NC, Gulf of M out of Port Charlotte and Pensacola. I know something about locals, GPS, hydration and skeeters! I like spec fishing but there just ain't any on the Western shore. I'm out of Point Patience Marina, Solomon's Annex. I'm retired, so have time to play. Let me know about your trips and fees.
                            Fishin Bob
                            Hobie Pro Angler 14
                            Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

Respecting the Rules of This Forum, you may contact me at: captbradybounds@gmail.com

And I beg to differ with you ; there are places on the western shore that have speckled trout as well as redfish. You just have to find the weed beds, etc.
                              Last edited by Capt Brady Bounds; 04-30-2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X