I'll tell you a secret lure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll tell you a secret lure...

If you are looking for a deep diving striper lure, one that I've stumbled upon that works really well are ones called "Akuna"
    Search ebay for them...they are all over. They are almost 6" long and have kind of a banana shape. They are super cheap. I bought a lot for just a few bucks at one point a few years back. Color did not matter.

They are made of cheap plastic and do not hold up that well over time. For the price of 1 deep diving rapala, you can have 10 of these, litterally. I have found they work when fishing channel drop offs. They do dive really well and put a heck of a lot of vibration on the rod. Once they start to run untrue, toss it and tie on another. Through the years I've tried to buy higher quality replacements, but I seem to gravitate back to these.

These lures are my example of lures don't need to be expensive to catch fish. This is coming from a guy who fishes Yo-Zuri and Xraps a lot which are awesome quality, but I lose a lot too due to break offs or snags.

Oh yeah, I troll these.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Gonna try a few out. Thanks for the suggestion. Not really 1/10th of the cost but $2-3 per is worth a shot.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
      Gonna try a few out. Thanks for the suggestion. Not really 1/10th of the cost but $2-3 per is worth a shot.
      +1 - Thanks.

Comment

As I was ordering I noticed they are all sold by the same ebay merchant but not all have free shipping but are otherwise priced the same. $3 shipping for $6 in lures kinda ruins the deal if you aren't careful. I noticed though that the seller's store has a TON more options than what shows on a regular ebay search. I'd recommend searching that for sure.
        Mike

Comment

They are also available on amazon, if these are what you are talking about:
          Akuna deep diving crankbait
          I almost bought them, but then I figured, I already have a thousand lures I dont use...
          Looks like they also have some interesting casting spoons.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

yeah...reef-runner clone. work great till they stop running straight
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              yeah...reef-runner clone. work great till they stop running straight
              Bingo. I ordered a pair last night. The ebay seller has a sale every now and again and it's right now. I got two for $5.50 or so, free shipping. It's tough to find the reef runners. Bass Pro doesn't sell them any more. Like I said, they work really well but are disposable so don't get heart broken. Troll them over 10-15' ledges and you'll pick up some rock.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Cotton Cordell Walley Stinger !

Comment

yeah, cabelas is the place to go for reefrunners, but the shipping kills
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                  X