flats jamboree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flats jamboree

What is the best recommended place to launch to fish the flats . We would like to prefish this coming week if the weather holds . Thanks in advance ,also anyone fishing there next week?
    Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
    Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Originally posted by monocacykayak View Post
    What is the best recommended place to launch to fish the flats . We would like to prefish this coming week if the weather holds . Thanks in advance ,also anyone fishing there next week?
    Tydings Park in Havre De Grace is a good option...It will put you on the westerly side of the Flats
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Perryville Park will put you in furnace bay and the flats are right there....
      http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
      484-459-9863
      If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
      *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

North East town Park has a Kayak ramp and will put you on the east side of the flats

If you use Perryville park pay close attention to what time they close. They will close the gate and lock you in. Also doesn't open until 7:30 am
        If you launch from the Boat ramp you need a permit. not sure if you need a permit to launch from the kayak launching area or if kayak launch is still there I haven't used that area in 2 years.
        Last edited by plastic boat; 03-28-2014, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I never fished the area before and plan on launching from Tydings park, hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to someone who has been there several times at the captains meeting friday. so if you see a guy with a field and stream eagle talon staring at the water with an "oh Crap, thats big water "look on his face, stop by and say hi

might also do some fishing early friday from the state park.
          Last edited by Stephen Slotwinski; 03-30-2014, 10:32 PM.
          Native watercraft Mariner 12.5
          Lowrance HDI 5
          Abu Garcia rods n reels

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Slotwinski View Post
            I never fished the area before and plan on launching from Tydings park, hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to someone who has been there several times at the captains meeting friday. so if you see a guy with a field and stream eagle talon staring at the water with an "oh Crap, thats big water "look on his face, stop by and say hi

might also do some fishing early friday from the state park.
            Don't worry it will be like a kayak fishing seminar for you. Nicest bunch of helpful folks you can find. I'm going up Thursday and hope to fish both Thursday and Friday. May try to get in some shore fishing for shad. You going to be at the park campsites? Maybe we can hook up.

BTW Crap, that is some big water up there.

Comment

When you guys say you launch at Tydings Park, are you referring to what the MD-DNR launch map refers to as "City Yacht Basin" or the nearby "Tydings Park and Promenade"??? If you are not sure what I am talking about then see the following DNR site. Once there click on the following: Harford County and then the "Havre de Grace Insert".

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/boatramps.asp

I use to launch at the Perryville Community Park at the cartop only launch (Stump Point). But as of the last two years I've been launching at the City Yacht Club (no tolls). It's free for cartops but you must launch at the same 2 ramps as the motor boats. And that can be an issue during busy launch periods.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

The Northeast town park has a free kayak and canoe launch ramp. However, you cannot get to the flats from there unless you are willing to paddle or pedal about 9 miles.... There is good fishing at the Northeast and it is where I will fish if the wind is up.
                484-459-9863
                If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Doc since you fish these waters so much what would you consider high winds? 15+ does the direction matter?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                    Doc since you fish these waters so much what would you consider high winds? 15+ does the direction matter?
                    In my opinion 15mph is the cut off for me, even with pedals. There is just no protection anywhere once you are in the flats. 1-2 ft chop really takes a toll when you are trying to troll...wind direction does not matter with the size of the area you are fishing. A lower wind mph with gusts of 15 is very doable, on extremely windy days you are better fishing the North East or launching at Jean Roberts and using Garret Island as protection.
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Howard,
                      Yes that is Tydings
                      Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
                      Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        wind direction does not matter .
                        A southeast wind will produce a lot bigger waves because they have more time to build up from the lower bay.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I mostly fish the Northeast river or the Sass. Winds over 10 mph coming from the south up the Northeast River and if begins to get a tad squirrrely but not too bad but once it gets close to 15 from the south then you are going to need to find some places in the lee of the wind. In the flats it does not really matter which direction if the wind is above 10 mph it will be tough. I will probably fish the Northeast River for the jamboree.
                          484-459-9863

Comment

Working...
                          X