Need help with new kayak paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with new kayak paddle

I got a trident 13 last year with a Bending Branches Angler Scout Kayak Paddle. I am looking into upgrading to a lighter and better paddle. I fish the bay bridge and the Susquehanna river for the most part. I have narrowed it down to two paddles, Werner Camano Hooked Fiberglass Kayak Paddle Straight Shaft or AquaBound Sting Ray Carbon Kayak Paddle - Posi-Lok . Anyone use one of these paddle? I am looking for the good and bad of each. The Werner is about $100 more then the Aquabound, is it worth the $100 to get the wener?

I have the Aquabound Sting Ray carbon paddle and it is light. The posi lok works fine but I only use it in the 0 position so I realize no value from it. I have noticed that there is some flex in the blades on the Aquabound. I don't know if I lose any efficiency from it but I have noticed it is there. For my use, it is a good paddle at a reasonable price.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Your current paddle is quite heavy at 37 oz. Both of the upgrade paddles you mention weigh between 28-29 oz. That is a significant reduction in weight -- you will notice a difference. At retail, the Sting Ray appears to be about $100 less in cost than the Camano. The other difference is in blade surface area. Your Angler Scout has a blade area of 613 cm2. The Camano has a blade area of 650 cm2 whereas the sting ray has a blade area of 561 cm2. I personally like a large blade area to give me more thrust on each paddle stroke. You may find that going to the lower blade size on the Sting Ray will affect the feel of your paddling. That is a personal preference -- just be aware that there may be some difference in feel.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have a AquaBound Sting Ray Carbon and recently purchased a new Werner Camano Hooked. I got it from ACK (used their 15% discount coupon and saved me some $$) and although I have not have the chance to use it yet, just holding I see a huge difference. Ihas a bigger blade, lighter weigth, longer handle (260 cm) and awesome look-I would recommend it to anyone who really likes to paddle.

Comment

Working...
        X