Anne Arundel Water Access Committee Issues & Agenda Wed 4/9/14 6 pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anne Arundel Water Access Committee Issues & Agenda Wed 4/9/14 6 pm

Hello all: Here's the agenda for the Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee April meeting a week from now, Wednesday 4/9/14. We'll be talking about improvements to Beachwood Park and improved access to the Magothy and about the new Franklin Point State Park in south county near Deale. Hope to see you there. Lisa

Anne Arundel County Public Water Access Committee Meeting
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014
    6 pm at the DPW facility, 445 Maxwell Frye Road, Millersville MD 21108.

Agenda
    · Welcome & Introductions
    · Announcements:

§ Program Open Space – Public Access legislation
    § AA County Rec & Parks budget issues
    § Swimming
    § Signs
    § Beachwood Park

· Eagle Scout Project in support of AA Water Trails - Reid Buehner
    · Ft Smallwood Ramp Update- Larry Velton
    · Franklin Point State Park – Dick Worth
    · Water Trails – Lisa Arrasmith
    · Rec & Parks Projects Update – Chris Carroll

Magothy Access (Was Anne Arundel Water Access Committee Issues & Agenda Wed 4/9/14)

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
    Hello all: Here's the agenda for the Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee April meeting a week from now, Wednesday 4/9/14. <snip>

Agenda <snip>

§ Beachwood Park <snip>
    Good morning,

The sea kayakers and the Magothy River Association are making a big push for better access to the Magothy and it would sure be great if the kayak anglers joined us. It would take less than a week for the county to improve access at Beachwood Park and less than 10 minutes for the county to allow access at Spriggs Farm Park.

A bunch of sea kayakers launched out of Beachwood Park and went to Spriggs Farm Park on Wednesday. The Magothy River Association cleared a better way to the water than the route over the old foundations, but it's still a ~400 yard carry though the woods. There's a "more better" straight shot possibility through use of an old resort road.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakp...7643364880495/

Paul Spadaro from the Magothy River Association found the old road to the water from the old Beachwood Park day resort. We can't use it now because there are ~6-8 big deadfall trees across it. Even after 40+ years of disuse it's flat and not eroded. If those deadfalls were cleared off the old road and a gap was cut in the roadside fence we could drive down to the water and drop off our boats like at Beverly-Triton Beach Park and then go park near the road. Paul also found the old bus parking lot in the woods next to the old road. If the old parking lot was cleared of brush we would have more parking, just like at Homeport Farm Park.

The county improved Spriggs Farm Park with a marked parking area in the lower park last summer. If the county took the chain off the lower park we could launch from Spriggs Farm now.

Again, the Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee meeting is on Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 at 6 pm at the Public Works Building at 445 Maxwell Frye Road in Millersville. Hope to see you there.

Lisa

Comment

I am going to try and attend. I think we need to be seen and having more water access is a good thing for all kayaking sports.

Comment

Lisa,

I am planning to attend if life allows.

Regards,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow night.

BTW, I stopped by Beachwood Park to take photos early this evening. The yellow perch must be running because the parking lot was full.

Lisa

Comment

Sorry but I have been detailed to Hagerstown and won't be able to attend. Life got in the way again.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I will be there.

Comment

Working...
              X