Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SOT Yak for less than $1000

Hey fellow yak fishermen/women

I have a Ascend FS10 that I have enjoyed for 2 seasons. I want to hit the Bay and the Point Look out area. I believe I need a SOT to tackle the rougher waters of the Bay and its areas. What Yak for under $1000 do you all think would work for me? I was eyeballing the new Ascend FS128T.

Me:
    5'8

Thanks,
    PudgyPrawn
    Ascend FS10

How much distance do you like to cover? If you plan to do a lot of paddling, I'd opt for something longer and less wide. Longer and narrower will get you there faster with less exertion. I'd be leaning more towards a Ocean Kayak Prowler/Trident 15, Tarpon 140, etc. If you look hard, you can find some decent deals on closeouts on both of these. There's a place along the Jersey shore that has a Prowler 15 for about $500. I don't know if it's still there, but that would leave a LOT of money left over for rigging. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you the contact info.

Comment

I recently sold my FS12 sit in and got an Ocean Kayak trident 11. That Ascend was dang heavy. I also plan on taking it out on the bay via Sandy Point this year.

Comment

Take a look at the malibu stealth 12
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, for about $799 and or the Pompano 120, 12', for about $549 at West Marine. Even better if you catch them on sale.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Check out Craigslist, too. You can get a lot of kayak, used. Many people are upgrading now and you could get a good deal.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Consider the Native Manta Ray in the 12' or 14' length. It has one of the most comfortable seats on the market and is a good fishing kayak too.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

+1 on the Trident or Prowler
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I like the Trident a lot. I also like Moken kayak, it's a little heavier but pack with a lot of awesome features and the new seat is very comfy. And I think you can get it used for less than $1000. I got my Trident 13 used for less than $700

Comment

Man for $1K your possibilities are just about endless with exception to a Hobie. I'd keep an eye out for some demo days coming up once this weather breaks and see what you like. There are a lot of options at that price point and below. I bought a Ocean Kayak Big Game for $575 brand new! So there are deals to be had!

Comment

here are some super deals on new kayaks for under$1000 at Appomattox Kayak in VA...most under $850 (but if you want to shop at home the prowler and Pompano are hard to beat. There are some pretty nice rides for sale on this forum.....the grand slam is a steal if you only fish big water
                      http://www.paddleva.com/Clearance/Native-Watercraft
                      http://www.paddleva.com/Clearance/Wi...all&class=154#
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

If you're looking for a comfortable seat, I believe Delaware Paddlesports is selling a 2013 Jackson Cuda 12 demo and a 2013 Native Slayer demo, each for less than $1K.
                        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

That ride 135 is a good deal! Much better seating for the price than the Tarpon or Manta Ray.
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                            That ride 135 is a good deal! Much better seating for the price than the Tarpon or Manta Ray.
                            My two cents on the Ride.....If you get it, put a rudder on it. It would make a world of difference when you hit the bay or any open water for that matter. Without it you will work extra hard to keep it going where you want it to go. Also, don't waste $$ on the angler version. Buy the recreational version and go crazy pimping that baby.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieru View Post
                              My two cents on the Ride.....If you get it, put a rudder on it. It would make a world of difference when you hit the bay or any open water for that matter. Without it you will work extra hard to keep it going where you want it to go. Also, don't waste $$ on the angler version. Buy the recreational version and go crazy pimping that baby.
                              100% in agreement!
                              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                              X