No announcement yet.

What SOT Yak for less than $1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might take a look at the classifieds on this site as well.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I've never heard a complaint about the seat in the mantaray 14 from anyone who used one....I really think that is the best deal. And no tracking problems either
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        I've never heard a complaint about the seat in the mantaray 14 from anyone who used one....I really think that is the best deal. And no tracking problems either
        Kevin - Thanks for making the point about the Manta Ray seat (same seat in the 11, 12, and 14 sizes). I have fished from probably 15-20 different models of kayaks since starting in the sport in 2001. Of all those, I have never found a more comfortable seat for my body shape than the one in the Manta Ray -- including the "lawn chair style" seats on the Slayer. I have never used a Hobie or the Ride, so I cannot comment on their comfort. For me as an older and heavier paddler, seat comfort is very important. In addition to the regular seat, I add a Skwoosh seat cushion to make my comfort even better.

There are many factors to consider when purchasing a kayak:

- style of kayak (most choose sit on top)
        - type of propulsion (most use paddles but pedal drives are popular too [more $$])
        - stability (tendency to tip; primary vs. secondary stability)
        - comfort level in seating position (wide range of seating comfort – time to reach “butt fatigue”)
        - Is the seating area mostly dry or frequently wet (design; drainage via scupper holes)
        - fixed seat in molded seating well vs. elevated seat with multiple positions; attachment points for after-market upgrade seats; type of seatback and cushion
        - how does it move in the water (tracks straight vs. easy pivoting) – may determine whether user wants a rudder
        - speed through the water (wider kayaks tend to be slower)
        - amount of storage (built-in, ease of adding storage accessories, gear tracks)
        - where do you put your feet (pegs, larger supports, notches in floor)
        - weight of kayak (important for transporting)
        - weight capacity (need to consider your body weight plus all gear)
        - ease of attaching/removing accessories on each trip (amount of time spent setting up and breaking down on each trip)
        - appearance/color
        - preference on brand name
        - and of course, the cost.

The original poster has received many recommendations so far. Good luck in finding a kayak to meet your needs after weighing all the decision factors. Many of us have started with a basic kayak and enjoyed the sport so much that we soon upgraded to a model with more features. The key point is getting started and see if you like the sport enough to stick with it.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks to all, as you say Mr. Veil I have been given quite a few choices. I will be shopping this season looking for my 2nd yak. The FS10 has been good enough to get me hooked.

Thanks,
          PudgyPrawn

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
          Ascend FS10

Comment

Working...
          X