New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

I'm new to this forum stuff. I hope I'm posting this correctly.

I wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking on Snaggedline for six months or so. I'm new to kayak fishing. As matter of fact, I'm so new, I don't have a kayak or any kayak stuff. I've done A LOT of research, reading and talking to learn as much as I can. Now it's time to pull the trigger!!!!! I have a lot of stuff to buy in the next few weeks.

So.......here's the first of many annoying newbe questions. Sorry

First I need a yak. After my research and testing a few yaks, I think I'm getting the CUDA 12.

I'm 5'11, 210 lbs, in good shape, 48 yrs. old. I'd like to fish small ponds to the ocean. Is the Cuda 12 the right fit for me?

I really look forward to being part of the Snaggedline community.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Bill

I can't offer any advice on your boat of choice, but wanted to say welcome to the site!
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I can't help you on your kayak choice either but I wanted to welcome you to Snaggedline.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome. I have the cuda 14 and love i! I tried the 12 but I do a lot more fishing in the bay and rivers so I thought it would be better for me. If Mark would have gave me the coosa he won in last years CBKA tournament I would have had the perfect paddle kayak selection. I can only say try them out. Brian at Delaware paddle sports is a great resource on the Jackson's plus no tax.

Good luck

Comment

Welcome Bill, what you will find on here as you may have already read is that the folks on here are very willing to help in any aspect they can. The final choice is yours to make but this is a wonderful vault of knowledge available to assist in your decision. Always be safe and enjoy the adventure!

eyedaddy

Comment

Welcome aboard Bill.

I'll flat out tell you that I have absolutely no experience with the Jackson Kayak Cuda 12. However, after looking at their specs it seems like a good all-around boat. Decent speed. 31" beam for moderate to good stability, yet narrow enough to punch through waves and surf. I've heard some guys say they like something shorter for lakes and small streams, but I think 12.5' is easily short enough to give you good maneuverability. Its not like you're buying this to shoot rapids.

Have you sat in one yet? If you've been lurking here then you should know comfort is important. Call around and see if you can demo one this weekend. Suppose to be good weather... and as much as a Cuda 12 costs I would want to try before I buy.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I picked the Cuda 12 up last year and have been happy with it. I'm 5'10 195 and often fish out of it while standing so stability shouldn't be an issue. It paddles well and the seat with its high and low settings is a plus. My only gripes are the foot pegs seem kinda cheap and flex when I push on them (I don't use them anyway so it doesn't really matter) and with the hull being almost flat, the wind can blow you sideways. Good luck and welcome!

chimo

Originally posted by Billy Rocket View Post

First I need a yak. After my research and testing a few yaks, I think I'm getting the CUDA 12.

I'm 5'11, 210 lbs, in good shape, 48 yrs. old. I'd like to fish small ponds to the ocean. Is the Cuda 12 the right fit for me?

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X