• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating Regulations

Lifejacket - Check
    Fishing License - Check

WHAT ELSE?

Any new regulations that I may be missing for the 2014 season? What will DNR ask for on the water to be compliant on a kayak?
    Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
    Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

I think a whistle is required as well.
    Mike

Comment

It is required. Also a white light, visible 360 degrees if you plan to fish at night.

Comment

All the regs are in this checklist, note the footnotes for non motorized vessels.
        http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/pdfs/md_req_equip.pdf
        Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Boaters safety education certificate required for kayak?
          Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
          Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

What jurisdiction? Rules vary. DC require boat education certificate for paddle craft. I don't know that they ever check, but is in the rules last time I checked. Maryland does not require certificate for paddle craft.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

In Maryland, if your kayak is motorized

Originally posted by DNR's Website
              In Maryland, the law states that anyone born on or after July 1, 1972, must possess a certificate of boating safety education in order to operate any motorized vessel.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Required equip: per DNR 2014 web page for manual propelled craft. Aka a kayak

here is the page : http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/pdfs...ionvessels.pdf

I was stopped and checked on the Chester River last fall just outside Kent Narrows.
                this is what I was checked for.

Life jacket
                Sound producing device aka a whistle
                Flares if the body of water is over 2 miles wide. also checked the date on them
                hand held light

Luckily I had stopped that morning at the Wal-mart in Middletown DE and picked up new flares for my power boat and tossed them into my milk crate on the way to kayak fish Kent Narrows. I did check about the flares when I got home. I didn't know I needed them, now I carry them all the time. Flares don't like to get wet so mine are sealed in a food saver bag.

Copied from MD Dnr's site listed above

Life jackets are required on non-motorized
                vessels including canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards and any other device
                capable of being used as a means of transporation on the water or ice.

Visual Distress Signals

All vessels in Maryland waters that are greater than 2 miles wide must be equipped
                with U.S. Coast Guard Approved visual distress signals. Vessels owned in the United
                States and operating on the high seas must be equipped with U.S. Coast Guard Approved
                visual distress signals.
                The following are not required to carry day signals but must carry night signals when
                operating from sunset to sunrise:
                1. Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length.
                2. Boats participating in organized events such as races, regattas, or marine parades.
                3. Open sailboats less than 26 feet in length not equipped with propulsion machinery.
                4. Manually propelled boats

Sound Producing Devices

The navigation rules require sound signals to be made under certain circumstances.
                Meeting, crossing, and overtaking situations described in the Navigation Rules section
                are examples of when sound signals are required. Vessels 12 meters or more in length are
                required to carry on board a whistle or horn, and a bell. Any vessel less than 12 meters
                in length (including Personal Watercraft) must carry a whistle or horn, or some means
                to make an efficient sound to signal your intentions and to signal your position during
                periods of reduced visibility.

Navigation Lights
                Vessels under oars may display the lights prescribed for sailing vessels, but if not, one
                must have an electric torch ready at hand, or lighted lantern showing a white light to be
                displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision.
                Last edited by plastic boat; 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post

Visual Distress Signals

All vessels in Maryland waters that are greater than 2 miles wide must be equipped
                  with U.S. Coast Guard Approved visual distress signals. Vessels owned in the United
                  States and operating on the high seas must be equipped with U.S. Coast Guard Approved
                  visual distress signals.
                  The following are not required to carry day signals but must carry night signals when
                  operating from sunset to sunrise:

2. Boats participating in organized events such as races, regattas, or marine parades.
                  3. Open sailboats less than 26 feet in length not equipped with propulsion machinery.
                  By my interpretation, visual signal is not required on a kayak during daylight hours.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Luckily I had stopped that morning at the Wal-mart in Middletown DE and picked up new flares for my power boat and tossed them into my milk crate on the way to kayak fish Kent Narrows. I did check about the flares when I got home. I didn't know I needed them, now I carry them all the time. Flares don't like to get wet so mine are sealed in a food saver bag.
                    In Maryland...

If your kayak is over 16 feet long AND you use a motor AND you're on water more than 2 miles wide THEN you need a visual distress signal device.

Otherwise... Flares and other Visual Distress Signals are NOT required.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      By my interpretation, visual signal is not required on a kayak during daylight hours.
                      Thankfully I didn't get a ticket and you are right
                      when I was stopped it's wasn't dark yet but was just after the official sunset time .
                      We all launch early in the mornings before official sunrise too.
                      just something to think about

And flares are not that expensive, and worth it when the fishing is great and we stay after dark
                      Last edited by plastic boat; 04-08-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Thankfully I didn't get a ticket and you are right
                        when I was stopped it's wasn't dark yet but was just after the official sunset time .
                        We all launch early in the mornings before official sunrise too.
                        just something to know about

And flares are not that expensive, and worth it when the fishing is great and we stay after dark
                        Yeah, I'm going to get some...even though I don't plan on being on the water between sunset and sunrise.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                          In Maryland...

If your kayak is over 16 feet long AND you use a motor AND you're on water more than 2 miles wide THEN you need a visual distress signal device.

Otherwise... Flares and other Visual Distress Signals are NOT required.

Here is my take on this after being stopped by MD DNR and checked

after official sunset until official sunrise time as posted on DNR's web site for the location you are at, That every boat in Maryland waters needs a night time visual distress signal

Visual Distress Signals
                          visual distress signals.
                          The following are not required to carry day signals but must carry night signals when operating from sunset to sunrise

3 flares was what the DNR officer asked to see after he had already had seen my flashlight.
                          After the safety check he told me have a nice night.
                          He also reminded me that if I was to keep my limit of stripers I had to be off the water by midnight.

What Another Rule -- can't possess striped bass between midnight and 5am on the water. Had to look that up too. It took forever to find that one

From DNR's web site again

Striped Bass
                          It is Illegal:
                          •To possess any cut up or filleted Striped Bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped Bass must be landed whole.
                          •To use more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
                          •To use eels as bait while fishing for Striped Bass with hook and line from Dec. 16 through May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
                          •To cull Striped Bass.
                          •To possess Striped Bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
                          •To use a gaff to land Striped Bass.
                          •To take or shoot Striped Bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
                          •To fish for Striped Bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of Striped Bass in designated spawning areas from March 1 through May 31.
                          •To intentionally snag a Striped Bass.

I now know why there are so many officers around Kent Island.
                          There is a DNR office at the narrows at the old ramp and another office at the Matapeake ramp

But the Striper fishing is so good after dark under the lights on the Kent Narrows bridge and right there the ramp, just get out of casting range of the shore bound anglers
                          Last edited by plastic boat; 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

And for clarification for boats <16' a night signal is defined as ..."One electric distress light or three combination (day/night) red flares." per http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p..._req_equip.pdf

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                              And for clarification for boats <16' a night signal is defined as ..."One electric distress light or three combination (day/night) red flares." per http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p..._req_equip.pdf
                              Right

Here is what I found on visual distress lights

Electric Distress Light for Boats
                              The electric distress light is accepted for night use only and must automatically flash the international SOS distress signal, which is three short flashes, three long flashes, and three short flashes. Flashed four to six times each minute, this is an unmistakable distress signal, well known to most boaters. The device can be checked any time for serviceability if shielded from view.

NOTE: An ordinary flashlight is not acceptable since it must be manually flashed and does not normally produce enough candle power.

I carried a electric distress signal a few years ago. Every time I checked it the batteries were dead. Seamed like they lasted 1 trip. that was before LEDS. but the only time it was on was when I checked it.
                              Last edited by plastic boat; 04-08-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X