Cold water is fatal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold water is fatal

For those tempted to risk the cold water, here's a link to an article I came across that specifically describes the body's response to sudden immersion in cold water.

The bottom line; it matters not how well you swim or if you are wearing a PDF, if you are not equipped with properly rated wet and or dry suits, it's unlikely you will survive. So please be safe! Rule of thumb is bare minimum for the unprotected is 65 degrees, but even that is dangerous if you're far from shore, so stay within length of an average pier if you do get dumped until maybe 75 - 80 degrees.

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/ColdShock.html

Thanks, but I'll take my chances.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
      Thanks, but I'll take my chances.
      FYI, Here's a list of drownings in and around the Bay in the last few months. These are just the drownings that made the news, there were many more that went unreported.

I'd really hate to see any one on this site make that list, or anyone else for that matter. These tragedies are easily preventable.

http://www.wjla.com/tag/drowning/
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 04-10-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Go ahead and keep thinking this can't happen to me....

From this morning

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2014/04/0...off-colington/

Remember dress to Swim every time you are on your Kayak and never ever without a life jacket

Comment

Thank you, Fishinfool. for posting this. As a newbie, I cannot read enough about the dangers in water. And even for seasoned yak fishermen it is good to be reminded.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Turtle a few times in swift moving current and you will be glad you practiced self rescue and dressed appropriately. If we are going to enjoy our sport and not face ridiculous restrictions (such as only being allowed on tiny bodies of water) we must be ever mindful to be responsible. With that said who is fishing tomorrow?
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
              Thank you, Fishinfool. for posting this. As a newbie, I cannot read enough about the dangers in water. And even for seasoned yak fishermen it is good to be reminded.
              Thanks Peggy. Without a safety rated wet or dry suit (and this is expensive gear) water under @ 65 degrees is deadly. That's the point of the cold water hazard link. You could be an Olympic swimmer, and have your pfd on securely, and you're still dead.

Cold water has no mercy. Growing up on the Severn, I had two close calls; I fell through the ice while skating on Yantz Cove at @ age 5, and later at @ age 14 capsizing in a 14 ft sailboat in April in the middle of Round Bay. Both times I, were rescued not by DNR or Coast Guard but by people who happened to be nearby. I, we wouldn't be here without that luck.

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
                Turtle a few times in swift moving current and you will be glad you practiced self rescue and dressed appropriately. If we are going to enjoy our sport and not face ridiculous restrictions (such as only being allowed on tiny bodies of water) we must be ever mindful to be responsible. With that said who is fishing tomorrow?
                I'll be out tomorrow @ Owl Creek/Rudee inlet.
                ​Ike

Cobra Fish & Dive

Comment

About a month ago I was asked if I would help lead a paddle tour in the Patuxent. Of course I said yes. Come morning of the scheduled paddling( which was earlier this past week) I hadn't heard of it being cancelled though I knew the water was too cold in which to paddle without wearing a drysuit. So I voiced my concern about it being unsafe due to cold water temps and windy conditions plus increased water flow from downpours the day before. My concerns were ignored so I aborted for safety reasons as I dont have a drysuit. The paddle tour went on but with someone else as my replacement. 4 kids paddling in SI kayaks rolled over. Fortunately, some workers with a jonboat nearby rescued them. Though they were in the water briefly, 1 teenager could not even walk when he was brought ashore. Despite warm air temps the water hasnt caught up yet. These folks were lucky to have survived. Dont become a statistic... Be smart!

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                    Go ahead and keep thinking this can't happen to me....

From this morning

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2014/04/0...off-colington/

Remember dress to Swim every time you are on your Kayak and never ever without a life jacket

Amazing. If I read this right, the white bouy marks where the Kayaker was missing. It's like 30 yards at most from the pier. Great thread, thanks.

Best Regards,
                    Stan
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

So, when will the bay be 65 degrees? June - October??

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
                        About a month ago I was asked if I would help lead a paddle tour in the Patuxent. Of course I said yes. Come morning of the scheduled paddling( which was earlier this past week) I hadn't heard of it being cancelled though I knew the water was too cold in which to paddle without wearing a drysuit. So I voiced my concern about it being unsafe due to cold water temps and windy conditions plus increased water flow from downpours the day before. My concerns were ignored so I aborted for safety reasons as I dont have a drysuit. The paddle tour went on but with someone else as my replacement. 4 kids paddling in SI kayaks rolled over. Fortunately, some workers with a jonboat nearby rescued them. Though they were in the water briefly, 1 teenager could not even walk when he was brought ashore. Despite warm air temps the water hasnt caught up yet. These folks were lucky to have survived. Dont become a statistic... Be smart!
                        Thanks for this story whenIcan. The teenager not being able to walk is an expected physiological response of the body to sudden cold water immersion.

Cold water hazards are routinely underestimated, as you can see even from a couple of comments on this thread. Anyone dumped in water without properly rated protection and survived did so because they did not gasp for air while under water, and there was clear headed help immediately close by. Those kids were very fortunate, as I was twice in my youth. Even wearing a pfd will not keep your head above water either before or after sudden immersion and the gasping reflex under water.

It's a frightening thing to now know that the "gasping reflex" is involuntary.
                        All it takes is for it to happen underwater, and you immediately sink to the bottom and drown. Prior to the body's response to cold water immersion being scientifically documented, this phenomenon was known as "sudden disappearance syndrome".

Days and weekends that are warm like now, are particularly tempting, but air temp has nothing to do w/ water temp.

Enough said on this underestimated, underreported, and lethal threat.
                        --------------

Regarding when the water will hit at least 65 degrees, I check the buoy on-line at Thomas Pt. It's already just over 50 degrees F, so it's gone up almost one degree a day since the warm spell the last several days.

Just BE PATIENT! Here's the link to the buoy. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tplm2
                        Last edited by Fishinfool; 04-12-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

So, let me add a personal story to this:

My broth was hunting ducks in the Chesapeake bay in January. He was extremely athletic. Varsity Basketball, And an all around jock. He went out in a Jon boat with a little motor to a duck blind. While there a storm came up and on the way back to the shore, the boat capsized. He was drowned trying to swim to get help.

No one in our family expected this. But, this type of thing happens. Be safe, your family needs you.

Best Regards,
                          Stan

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                            Amazing. If I read this right, the white bouy marks where the Kayaker was missing. It's like 30 yards at most from the pier. Great thread, thanks.

Best Regards,
                            Stan
                            That what I got out of it . I have fished there, Collington harbor area

Comment

Working...
                            X