No announcement yet.

Kayaker shot in AA County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's lots of ways to get shot/attacked when you are in an unfamiliar neighborhood including the case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I knew an associate that was shot when he stopped his car to examine possible damage from a pothole, and stumbled into a drug deal going down, in the driveway of a residence adjacent to where he stopped his car. Pure bad luck can never be ruled out.

Comment

It would help if the media agreed on the basic facts of the story.

I've seen three different streets that the kayaker supposedly launched from -- Park Lane, Park Drive and Park Road. The latter street is not even on the Bodkin but is on Stoney Creek, a far paddle from the Bodkin that would require him to travel several miles on the Patapsco.

I've also read that he was shot resting on the shore and another story that said he was paddling.

One story said he was stargazing. None have mentioned that he was fishing.

Let's hope the police get to the bottom of this. But if they are using news reports, they will be very confused in their investigation.
      Last edited by Mark; 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The article says he saw a red dot and then felt pain. No mention of hearing a shot. Wonder if he was shot somewhere else doing something else...and got as far away as he could before calling for help....The media screws a lot of stuff up, leaves stuff out...Does sound a little suspicious. Hope he recovers.
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          My wife just yelled over..."did you hear about the kayaker that got shot?!" It's on the news right now and word has officially reached my wife, which can mean nothing good for me and the amount of time I want to spend on the bay.
          I really don't need my wife hearing about this...she will lose her mind and shut down Cowkid2 fishing with me.

Originally posted by clm View Post
          The article says he saw a red dot and then felt pain. No mention of hearing a shot. Wonder if he was shot somewhere else doing something else...and got as far away as he could before calling for help....The media screws a lot of stuff up, leaves stuff out...Does sound a little suspicious. Hope he recovers.
          It certainly does sound suspicious...
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Baltimore Sun reports he was "stargazing", not fishing. And the victim said he saw some people partying by a campfire. From Google Earth, it looks like a pretty tight neighborhood. Hopefully they will solve this one soon.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...e-nrp-campfire
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

It just sounds fishy ........... out in a kayak at night stargazing ......... gets shot and it takes him hours to get back somewhere to get help ........... sorry it don't stand muster ....... somehting else is going on .......

Comment

Bodkin Creek is the next creek north of the Magothy River. Its about 1/3 the size of the Magothy. And like the Magothy, 98% of the shoreline is festooned with 100s & 100s of houses, most having a pier. If he indeed was in Bodkin he would not have been more than a 1000 feet from a house. But then, he may have been in really bad shape and was unable to paddle. You never know until more details emerge... but until then I am still a little suspicious.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

sorry to hear that this has happened but to be totally honest i think of this type of thing happening all the time....especially when i get into those sacluded areas. hopefully this will be the last time any of us will hear of something like this happening to anyone again.

Comment

Read a few different articles. Some mention he heard a shot, some don't. Some say he saw a bonfire and heard a party. Some articles say he wasn't close enough he hear or see a fire (after police searched). 9mm or .357. They should get the ballistics back today. One article said low velocity and low trajectory....maybe a richochet off the water then....From the reports of his injuries it sounds like it could have been an errant shot from a far, or a richochet....but his story is still varied as to what he saw and heard....
                    Hobie Outback
                    Stand Up Paddle Board
                    Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                    X