Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Fletcher's Cove this Friday

Hello everyone,

Gonna try my luck at Fletcher's cove for the first time with my son. Just letting you know in advance, I am deaf. I can read lips and speak well. Just feel I need to let you guys know so you wont think I'm ignoring you if I didn't respond to your calling because I didn't hear you. Hope to see some of you out there. I have no clue of what baits or lures to use so will try a bit of everything.
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

I don't know if this recent rain and cold water temps set-back the shad run. In case you haven't seen it, read the follow thread were I posted pics of the shad lures that work for me.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...rs-shad-4-6-14

BTW, The little boat rental office at Fletchers does sell shad lures.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Hey Donnie, are you taking the kayaks or fishing from shore?

HJS, from your experience do you know if that area is safe for kayaking with the river rise from the rain?

edit: looking at NOAA today it appears they are no longer expecting that dramatic river rise that they had predicted last night
      Last edited by Turtle135; 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: new intel
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dave - I did indeed see that the predicted increase in flow has been cut back. Now it looks like Potomac flow will come close to 5' but not go over. As I remember the cut-off for renting boats at Fletchers is 5'. Now, keep in mind I'm a canoe guy, never been in a kayak. During my last 3 trips to Fletchers the flow ranged from 4.6' to 4.8' and there were several kayakers out there at those flows. And they didn't seem to be struggling too much. I don't know your skill level. But if it's only moderate than I might suggest you stay in the area of Fletchers Cove until you get the feel for the flow. That cove seems to be a hot spot for most fish species.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Gents,

I have fished out of Fletcher's in the rowboats and also have taken my kayak. I would suggest that the combination of water temps, strength of current and rocks make it a very unfriendly venue for a casual kayaker. Get a yak sideways there and the forces are quickly dramatic. The rowboats are a great design and extremely stable. I highly recommend going that route!

ST

Comment

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,0

I like it when it is 4.5 or less but anything under 5 is OK (plus that is when they rent the red boats).

Nasty currents (under surface) there.

Ernie

Comment

Ask the guys at the boat rental, they fish everyday and will tell you where to fish, what to use and how to set up your rig.

Comment

Please post how you did. I can't do Friday , I have to work. I am planning on going Monday afternoon. I could use some intel.
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                X