Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Hobie Revo Hull Strength...Rivers

Hi guys,

I use my hobie revo with turbo fins in open waters and lakes for the most part. If I were to pull the mirage drive out is the hull strong enough for me to take this boat into the upper potomac or the Shenandoah on a float trip? My concern is hitting rocks and if the impact will weaken the hull area where the mirage drive sits. Is it worth the risk or should I get a second kayak just for the rivers.

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Should be fine with the drive pulled. I'd stick the plug in, so you don't have anything disappear through the drive hole.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I run my pro angler on the upper susquehanna river, i dont know about the speed of the shenandoah river but i do know the on the susky i drift twice as fast than i would on the upper potomac. I leave my mirage drive in, it gives you a real advantage to paddle up stream. Even if you have to semi pump the drive in shallow water. The worst thing to happen is your fins get tore up. Or the stainless rods get bent which are easily fixable on the go. And i keep spare set of fins just incase they get totaly trashed. Which that has happened before. With my pa on the susky, i was drifting down a ledge and imediatly smashed my mirage drive on a rock, stopped me so hard i nearly fell forward.. Once in deeper water i checked the drive and there was no major damage. Just a small scratch. I drifted a total of 20miles in two days and my fins were pretty shot. My girlfriend took my outback, she isntt so hard on things and her fins were barely damaged.
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I notice that the revo is tough to paddle. It's almost like paddling a coosa. Tough to stay straight and not very fast. Peddling is incredible with the turbo fins. Any tips for a better paddling experience?

Comment

Stick with using the rudder its alil hard cuz you have to hand steer it but it will track alot straighter with it.
          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
          X