Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Tom Tom or Nuvy or some other GPS

Guys,

I need to take some trips without my life long navigator (wife) along. I need to get a Tom Tom or Nuvy or something 'cause looking at printed maps is too distracting these days. Here are some particualrs about me.

I don't have a smart phone.
    I have an old 2004 Camry with no WiFi or whatever it is called.
    I need good volume cause I am getting deaf, or maybe I am already there.

Thanks for the help.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

John to be totally honest you just cannot beat a smartphone with the ability to download Google Maps. It's updated for free unlike a lot of the in-car units. And you don't need a high priced phone either, any Android or iphone(I'd say at least the 4s) would do the job sufficiently. The ability to get information off the net real-time is a great feature.

But if you're against a smartphone. I have experience with a couple of the low end TomTom units and they have worked well. Sound wise both options should be ok. The only thing is you have to remember to connect it to your computer every so often so that it can update GPS satellite locations otherwise waiting for a GPS lock can be a pain!

Comment

Definitely hit eBay. With smartphones and cars being pre-equipped with navigation from the factory, there are tons of units available for cheap.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks but I don't want a smart phone.

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
          Definitely hit eBay...there are tons of units available for cheap.
          ^^
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Sounds like you need a Garmin. I'm not there biggest fan but they do seem to have the best routing and volume and there are not many other options. TomToms get pretty mediocre reviews and seem to be buggy, Garmin seems to always just beat them out.

You should be able to find a nice factory refurbished unit in the $80- $100 range. There may be some cheaper units available but after using it for a while you may appreciate the more advanced features like lane assist and advanced detours.

Buydig on Ebay has been having some good prices and here is a link to one they had on sale for $90 a few days ago. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-2595L...epn=5337259887

I've bought 2 from there Ebay store and was very satisfied. Like new with a full year warranty. They cut the prices quite often.

The smartphone idea sounds nice but comes along with the cost of a data plan and a smaller screen. I do a lot of driving and like having a dedicated GPS even with a smartphone available.

Comment

Just found out my MIL has a Garmin Nuvi 2557 that she is not using and I am welcome to!! Thanks for the help folks.

John
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
              X