Redfish Masgouf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redfish Masgouf

So in Keeping with tradition of Masgoufing every species I catch, here are pictures of the Redfish I caught from the weekend being Masgoufed to perfection!

Interesting note, in the top right of the first two pics is a lure I found in the belly of the smallest of the three. Guess pink (tipped with shrimp) was a hot color earlier but the fish got off! Fate was to bring us together

-Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I don't think I've ever seen someone butterfly a fish before? Looks good! How did it taste?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      I don't think I've ever seen someone butterfly a fish before? Looks good! How did it taste?
      Phenomenal! This is my prefered cooking method for fish, hence the name AbuMasgouf
      -Mustafa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
        Phenomenal! This is my prefered cooking method for fish, hence the name AbuMasgouf
        Just watched the video you did at the CBKA 2013 tourney. Looks great. Think I'll try it out on something soon. So in the video you said it can be done on a grill? Also, what's in that "special sauce"???
        Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Mustafa demonstrated once how to AbuMasgouf togs. To me you need pretty good hand and arm strength to do that. Tog head is already too hard to split. I think I can do stripers/specks, but not Redfish.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Mouth is watering!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

anything special with the spices?
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

That's gotta be tough to evenly split the fish right down the middle and you make it look so clean.. do you use a super sharp knife or a clever?

Comment

Fantastic! There should be a separate section for masgouf! Or maybe just cooking / recipes in general.

Comment

Man that looks fantastic!! Where did you catch those Reds, Va?
                    GB

Comment

Very nice. I like it!

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Thanks Gents! I appreciate the kind words!

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
                        Just watched the video you did at the CBKA 2013 tourney. Looks great. Think I'll try it out on something soon. So in the video you said it can be done on a grill? Also, what's in that "special sauce"???
                        Yup, you can use a grilling basket (sometimes used for butterflied chicken or sliced veggies) where you spice it, put it scale side down first then finish it off meat side down quickly. This is basically "on the half shell" method, but gives you the option of flipping it to crisp the meat a bit. If you don't have a basket, then you can cook it "on the half shell" until its done. The only down part is if it is an oily fish, it won't drip-off some of that strong taste. But Reds and Rocks aren't oily.

The special sauce is similar to one in a previous post (I can't beileve there has been so many... means I'm catching fish! LOL), but it was a Tamarind concentrate base with the Iraqi key ingredient, Date Syrup/molasses, which gives it the sweetness. I add a little water, olive oil, salt, pepper, tomato paste and reduce it a bit on the stove. This is my go to. But anything you like can work, the sky is the limit!

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Mustafa demonstrated once how to AbuMasgouf togs. To me you need pretty good hand and arm strength to do that. Tog head is already too hard to split. I think I can do stripers/specks, but not Redfish.

Joe
                        I remember that day... man that was a tough head, but not the toughest believe it or not. The toughest head was a mature Black Sea Bass. That sucker bent my knife! LOL Snakehead also have tough heads but they are more manageable than Tog and BSB, because they are flatter.

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        anything special with the spices?
                        Any spices will do. My go to is a tandoori type spices I get for the mid east/south asian store, but most stores carry a curry poweder or tandoori powder in their 'international' section. Its all about your personal preference. A good cajun rub would be phenomenal too but I didn't have any in the pantry yesterday.

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                        That's gotta be tough to evenly split the fish right down the middle and you make it look so clean.. do you use a super sharp knife or a clever?
                        Thanks bro, lots of practice! Yup a super sharp and sturdy knife. My previous go to was an $8 zyliss carving knife that I got from Home Goods. But that knife got bent by the BSB I mentioned above! For that I had to bust out a cleaver since the knife was a no go!

So now I use a 4" Morakniv companion (outdoor knife) thats crazy sharp and hard steel. They have longer ones too but this one does the job and its small and light. This is my new go to. Since I'm not filleting I don't need it to be flexible to get all the meat off the bone. I just need it to be strong to cut through the ribs and head in a nice even straight line.

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
                        Man that looks fantastic!! Where did you catch those Reds, Va?
                        GB
                        Yup Rudee in VB area. Post is in the Virginia section

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                        Mouth is watering!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by Goody View Post
                        Very nice. I like it!

Mobile Phone
                        Thanks Gents! We need to have a good plan the next time we go down and cook it down there and share a nice meal together!
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Nice. That really puts the cherry on top of an already great fishing adventure.

You did that fish a favor by eating him. That lure coming out the other end would not have been a pleasant experience for him.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Another masterpiece Mustafa!! I still want to see a masgouf flounder though, LOL

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
                              nice. That really puts the cherry on top of an already great fishing adventure.

You did that fish a favor by eating him. That lure coming out the other end would not have been a pleasant experience for him.
                              hahahahahahahhaha!
                              -Mustafa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X