Flats becoming mud pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats becoming mud pool

Aargh! Turbidity 51.7 NTU. It seemed to take about a day for all the water to come down the susky and turn it into a pool of mud again....very sad. I think it's game over on the flats as a result. It took weeks to clear up to the point where it was fishable.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Yes it is a mud pool. Also saw a lot of debris this morning. This is just the beginning.

Comment

Hearing that a significant storm was predicted, farmers up and down the mid-Atlantic were firing up their tractors to prep and plant their fields in corm. These freshly tilled fields are prime for erosion, so yeah, there will be a lot of soil washing into the Susky. On the other hand, I'm surprised the predicted flow the next few days will top-out only around 6'. I was expecting the flow to be a lot higher. If weather stays coolish the next few weeks there might be a few nice stripers still hanging around when the striper season re-opens on May 16. We shall see.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        If weather stays coolish the next few weeks there might be a few nice stripers still hanging around when the striper season re-opens on May 16. We shall see.
        I was wishfully thinking/hoping the same thing....

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

This is especially sad after everyone's enticing reports of big betties landed earlier this week and last. Timing is everything....and mine is just way off this year.
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            Hearing that a significant storm was predicted, farmers up and down the mid-Atlantic were firing up their tractors to prep and plant their fields in corm. These freshly tilled fields are prime for erosion, so yeah, there will be a lot of soil washing into the Susky. On the other hand, I'm surprised the predicted flow the next few days will top-out only around 6'. I was expecting the flow to be a lot higher. If weather stays coolish the next few weeks there might be a few nice stripers still hanging around when the striper season re-opens on May 16. We shall see.
            Did I read the seasons incorrectly? I thought the flats area was C&R until June.
            Mike

Comment

This will help the YOY, I predict similar numbers to the 2011 YOY survey.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                Did I read the seasons incorrectly? I thought the flats area was C&R until June.
                Flats Completely closed May 4-15, one fish between 18-26" from May 16-31. Two starting June 1. (>18", only 1 >28" )

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                  Flats Completely closed May 4-15, one fish between 18-26" from May 16-31. Two starting June 1. (>18", only 1 >28" )
                  Flats are closed to targeting stripers, not to fishing for other species of fish. Don't go perch fishing with striper gear.
                  Not that it matters, the water today looks like a freshly plowed field and will take some time to clear.

Comment

I've got a trial and then a trip to norcal (if anyone has kayak fished the Sacramento area let me know) but when I get back I'm turning my eyes to jbay and li.
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                      Flats are closed to targeting stripers, not to fishing for other species of fish. Don't go perch fishing with striper gear.
                      Not that it matters, the water today looks like a freshly plowed field and will take some time to clear.
                      Correct. I guess I should have been more clear.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                      X