Where to fish this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to fish this weekend?

I am on a head boat charter now, very bored. Pulled numbers to see in what order we get to reel in a fish. I'm 8 out of 10 and we're quickly running out of time with just 4 rock caught.

Is there anywhere to fish this weekend after all the rain? Now when I can make time to take the yak out, water levels are high, waterways are clogged with debris...
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

That sucks. Im at work, however. I'd gladly trade places with you. Where to fish? I was wondering the same thing. I think it might be a matter of "where not to fish." Im thinking rivers in which mud flow will be tough. But if you do fish, look for areas near grass beds that will help filter the water and provide relatively cleaner water.

Ive never fished Mattawoman but i'd like to.
    Jason

Comment

Me and several others plan on fishing at Pohick Bay at dawn. We expect the water will be dirty and off color but "fishing" beats "not fishing" 10 times out of 10.

The flooding was not as severe as they were originally predicting. This is a snapshot from yesterday and they revised this a little downward again today.

Feel free to come on down and help us find them!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Where to fish this weekend?

8 1/2' is almost high enough to wash over the islands at Little Falls, that a LOT of water. I'd stay away from there, personally.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Little Falls is worse than Pohick Bay because of the dam.

The gage at Old Town shows them only one foot over norm during high tide.
          http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=axtv2

I was planning on hitting Mattawoman at dawn and fish the incoming tide.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I didn't realize how far downstream Pohick Bay is, just looked at a map. It's probably fine down there, that's big water compared to the Little Falls area.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

8.5 feet at Little Falls is way too high to fish there safely.
              4.5 is about where you'd want it.

The Susky is currently about 16 feet at the dam. Deer Creek will be putting out a mud plume for a another day or two, but the main stem of the river is fishable at that level.

Comment

Just in case it was not clear, we are fishing at POHICK BAY
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                  Just in case it was not clear, we are fishing at POHICK BAY
                  I think the confusion was brought on by the LITTLE FALLS flood chart that you posted.

Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Lol. Mr. Bass 2day tournament is going to be on the potomac this weekend, so don't be surprised if the river seems alil more crowded than normal
                    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by cowpokey View Post
                      i think the confusion was brought on by the little falls flood chart that you posted. :d

yes, my bad, i thought when i wrote "pohick bay" everyone would realize i meant "pohick bay"

... I'm not sure if NOAA has guages down in that part of the tidal potomac
                      Dave

Comment

yes, my bad, i thought when i wrote "pohick bay" everyone would realize i meant "pohick bay"
                        LMFAO!!! I was on my phone with the first response to this thread...I didn't know where Pohick Bay was. Sorry for the tangent...hope you catch a tupperware load!

Last edited by Cowpokey; 05-02-2014, 01:59 PM. Reason: Emphasis on important part of post.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

... I'm not sure if NOAA has guages down in that part of the tidal potomac
                          I think you need the font to be just a little bigger for everyone to fully understand....

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            I think you need the font to be just a little bigger for everyone to fully understand....
                            ALL CAPS might have been enough to swing it...but underlining and flashy colors help too, IMHO.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

well if nothing else we have injected some humor into this thread
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X