Expanded my fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded my fleet

Two years ago, I bought a used Malibu Mini-X from Chimo. I liked the light weight (~40 lbs) and short length (9'3"). I also liked the ability to shove the Mini-X in the back of my minivan and shut the tailgate. It filled a niche in my fleet.

Last Sept I joined Native Watercraft's Pro Staff team. I have felt somewhat awkward about owning and using a non-Native product. Last month I sold the Mini-X to Reelaxin10 and ordered a new Manta Ray 11 kayak in Native's green and black swirl pattern called "Lizard Lick". The new kayak arrived today. Although it is a bit longer and heavier than the Mini-X, it still fits in my minivan. It should be more comfortable and seaworthy that the Mini-X too.

007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg

I hope to give it an on-water test this weekend.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Congrats on the new boat! I like that color. That seat looks really cushy, like a recliner...even the same color as the recliner I'm typing this from.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Glad it fits John! Nice looking Manta Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Congrats on the new boat! I like that color. That seat looks really cushy, like a recliner...even the same color as the recliner I'm typing this from.
        I have used a Manta Ray 14 since 2008. It has the same seat in it as the new boat. This is the most comfortable kayak seat I have ever used (at least for my body shape and weight).
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on the new kayak John. I was going to comment on how comfortable that seat looks, until I read your response. Sweet ride.

Comment

Yeah, I'm jealous of that seat. The one in my Hobie looks like a medieval torture device in comparison. LOL
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Nice yak, John. Is the slayer propel now fitting your needs? I love mine. Each time I take it out I love it more, except for the weight. Maybe hauling it around will reverse aging.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Congrats on the new yak. I'm sure you'll put some fish slime on it in no time.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                  Nice yak, John. Is the slayer propel now fitting your needs? I love mine. Each time I take it out I love it more, except for the weight. Maybe hauling it around will reverse aging.
                  I agree with you about the weight -- it takes more effort to move around on land than my Manta Ray 14. It does allow me to do things I could not do as well on a paddle kayak (like yesterday's 3.5 hours of steady trolling in the wind). I have used it only 6 times so far, and learn more things about it on every trip. One of the neat tricks that I learned on the Native Owners Group website is that you can significantly improve the the turning radius by leaning away from the turn (not intuitive).
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Looks like you will need a trailer soon.

John I did get my new 240 bending branches angler pro paddle, what a difference from the old paddle. We will see how it rates as the season progresses.

Comment

John you are building some fleet there. My girlfriend has been wanting a kayak (which of course had to be blue for fashion reasons..hahaha) so I talked her into the ascend fs12t which she has no intentions of using for fishing, but little does she know that I will be taking hers out when I dont feel like setting up my PA12 which seems to be a job all its own!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good looking kayak!

Comment

I spent 3 hours paddling the new kayak this afternoon. It handled the moderate wind and 1 foot chop just fine. The seat was as comfortable as the one in my Manta Ray 14.

Mark and I were searching for the Severn white perch. Sadly, they have not yet shown up in any of my usual spots.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

It's my fault we caught no perch.

I'm zero for my last four outings.

My new name should be "Trip Killer."

But John looks comfy in his new ride.

B.jpg
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Don't worry Mark we will break you streak weds.

Comment

Working...
                              X