Blue Crabs in the Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Crabs in the Bay

I saw a report today that said biologist did surveys and have estimated that we lost 28% of the adult blue crabs in the bay over the winter. They said the unusually long and cold weather really hit them hard. Look for significantly higher prices and lower catch rates this summer.

Just fyi...
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

It seems about this time of year, every year, they come up with a reason to increase the price of crabs?? Just like every year they come up with a reason to increase the price of beef. Just one time I would like them to say " this year was so good we are lowering the price" of something.

Comment

Rocket, I have a feeling that day wont come..haha

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

This report makes the Crab Whisperer said. Since I have been crabbing off of my canoe and kayak, I can definitely see a downward trend in the crab population.

Comment

Yup the prices at the DC Wharf are way too high for this time of the year.

Comment

There's been talk on this forum before about the health of the bay and it would seem our group would benefit from artificial weed beds or something to help clean the water and provide a hiding spot bait and crabs. I just don't know how to start it.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

My catch rates are down too. I think every consecutive year in the last four or five I've pulled less crabs. Last season was particularly dismal. If it's worse than that, jeeze, may not be worth the effort to go out.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Alan,

Last year I went TWICE all season. After the second trip, it was quickly apparent that it wasn't worth the effort.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yea, I went three times last year and it sucked big time.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                  X