lightweight 11'-12' sot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightweight 11'-12' sot

Last year my wife and I got started with flimsy 10' sinks from Dick's. If memory serves, the pair were out the door for $375. I was able to upgrade to a moken 12.5 this winter and have been very happy with it thus far. I'm looking to get the mrs a new ride as well that is more suited to her needs/wants. My moken is right around 70 lbs and she has expressed that is more than she is willing to deal with. I have been looking at elie gulf, eddyline caribbean, and the hurricane skimmer. She's looking for an 11'-12' that is under 60 lbs. We fish tidal rivers and the bay. Does anybody here have any personal experience with the yaks mentioned or have any I should add to the pool?
    feelfree Moken 12.5

No experience with them, but that Eddyline Caribbean is a sweet looking boat. I had one of those on the wish list...until I went Hobie.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

If you don't mind going down to a 10' the Moken 10 Lite is a great option. It might be a little small in teh waves of the bay. I've heard good things about the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11, its only 47 lbs and not too expensive.
      Mike
      Feelfree Lure 11.5
      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Last week I bought a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11. I had a chance to test it out last Sat in moderate wind and 1 ft chop. It paddled very nicely and has an extremely comfortable seat. It weighs 56 lbs and is 10'10" long.

007.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The tarpon 100 comes to mind as a good option as well, good luck with the hunt!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

i havd owned two ELIE KAYAKS and could not be any happier with them one was a sit in and my current is a 13' sot the Elie is not roto molded it is thermo formed the are a bit stiffer than a roto mold. very good warranty my 13' is @70lbs. i have not looked at some of the shorter kayaks they have... but i would not have any reservations about buying a third yak from them. ULLERS in DALLASTOWN PA. is where i bought both of mine the owner is CRAIG and he can not be any more gracious he treated me well above any expectations i had. great guy to do business with he handles hobie and wilderness and a lot of touring yaks as well his number is 717-747-0095 not sure if it is convienient for you but may be worth a call. nice guy and beyond fair with me regards pricing and service. best of luck with the process.

Comment

I appreciate the input :-)

Maneuverability -10
              Deck storage - 6
              Hull storage - 5
              Speed - 8
              Tracking - 8
              Stability - 7
              Mounting options - 6
              Weight - 10

This is how she rated the desired functionality of a kayak. I've been studying the trident 11 today, and it looks like a decent boat that falls within these parameters as well. For whatever reason, she has been adamant that she doesn't want another 10'er. from what I see this doesn't jive too well with the desire for light weight and maneuverability, but I will do my d*mnedest to find the kayak for her that will keep her out on the water with me.
              feelfree Moken 12.5

Comment

Several guys here have bought their wives an ocean kayak venus. Camelbird for one. That boatbis designed for ladies and pretty light. I also know many ladies who love their scramblers....two choices far cheaper than hurricanes or eddylines. Both 11'+
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

just remember...not one kayak does everything, you gotta comprimise on some stuff

Comment

As Kevin said we bought one for the wife.. Ocean kayak Venus 11ft. She loves it. Light, good tracking. Our factory 2nd (saved about 150) didn't come with a preconfigured bow hatch although I think the standard ones do.

Good luck

Comment

My wife has an Outback but also wants a paddle kayak. I’ve been looking at the Viking Profish 400. L 13’3” / W 31” / Light Weight at 53 lbs, although it’s bit longer than what you had in mind.
                      Viking Profish 4.JPGViking Profish.JPGViking Profish 3.JPG
                      Last edited by Fishtank; 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM.
                      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                      Predator 13

Comment

Working...
                      X