Bedding Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedding Perch

Went out today to walk the dog along Back Creek on the Severn and just wanted to report seeing a dozen or so beds with nice size perch sitting on them. Another sign that the Severn is coming alive!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
    Went out today to walk the dog along Back Creek on the Severn and just wanted to report seeing a dozen or so beds with nice size perch sitting on them. Another sign that the Severn is coming alive!

White or yellow?

One of the white perch we brought home yesterday was full of eggs.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

White, would have been cool to see a few yellow. I caught a small yellow last year and have not caught one since.

Comment

Thanks for the news. Normally I would be working on perch by now, but the striper fishing continues to sparkle. I hate to leave large fish to catch smaller fish. The perch will be an added bonus.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Thanks for the news. Normally I would be working on perch by now, but the striper fishing continues to sparkle. I hate to leave large fish to catch smaller fish. The perch will be an added bonus.
          I've caught more than a few WP while trolling for stripers with 4-6" xraps. You might say they have an inflated sense of self
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I agree John which is why I keep trolling for stripers!

Comment

Neither white or yellow perch make beds for spawning. Both the perches are broadcast spawners, not to mention yperch were done spawning a month ago. What you saw was probably pumpkins seed sunfish.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Well I stand corrected!, I just assumed they were perch as I have never caught a sunfish in Back Creek and I fish it often!. Thanks though guess I just assumed they made beds.

Comment

Bass; large mouth and small mouth are in the sunfish family, IIRC. So they should have the same spawning patterns.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Hey j a were ya catching rock at n can u catch n release in rivers

Comment

Originally posted by newkayakguy View Post
                      Hey j a were ya catching rock at n can u catch n release in rivers
                      The DNR sets rockfish regulations that change several times, especially during the spring. To keep things simpler, they publish a series of maps with different date ranges. Take a look at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/mapindex/bass.asp. Currently most western shore rivers (including the Severn) are catch and release only. Starting June 1, the Severn is open for keeping rockfish.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank u sir id like to met up with u guys on the severn to try sone trolling

Comment

Working...
                        X