Checking the blue cat off my species list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking the blue cat off my species list

Looking to check off blue cats off my species lost this Sunday! Was thinking either Fletcher's or WW bride since it will be my first time in DC withthe kayak. Not necessarily looking for monsters just looking for the best place to have some fun. Would hate to make the trek from WV and get skunked :-( .any tips on what they're currently hitting would be nice! Thanks!
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Sega - alot of us launch at Jones Point Park for the blue cats I was there last week and it was good action with the largest one being 30" alot in the 18-25" range. Real simple fish finder rig with a 2oz bank sinker with a chunk of chicken breast on a 6/0 circle hook. If you have some stinky spray use it and drop it down will help keep your rod bent. I usually paddle out to the second pylon and just drop bait. Good luck and keep an eye on the boat traffic.

Comment

•DNR asks anglers to remove and kill any blue and flathead catfish they catch.
      •Catch and release of these fish is discouraged, as they are invasive top predators and pose a serious long-term threat to our native species.
      •In Maryland, it is illegal to transport live blue and flathead catfish into another body of water, anyone in violation of this can be fined up to $2,500.
      •To report illegal transport or unauthorized introductions of invasive species please contact the Natural Resources Police at 800-635-8124.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/catfish/

Comment

I did not know they needed to be killed. I caught 2 - 25+ inch catfish yesterday and let them go. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by bch89 View Post
        •DNR asks anglers to remove and kill any blue and flathead catfish they catch.
        •Catch and release of these fish is discouraged, as they are invasive top predators and pose a serious long-term threat to our native species.
        •In Maryland, it is illegal to transport live blue and flathead catfish into another body of water, anyone in violation of this can be fined up to $2,500.
        •To report illegal transport or unauthorized introductions of invasive species please contact the Natural Resources Police at 800-635-8124.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/catfish/
        Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
          I did not know they needed to be killed. I caught 2 - 25+ inch catfish yesterday and let them go. Thanks for the info.
          No problem, I stumbled across it the other day thats the only reason I know about it.

Comment

Its also discouraged to eat the cats from near the wilson bridge, so....

Sent from the water.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Blue cats in the Potomac are an easy catch. Grab some chicken livers from your local supermarket, drop it down next to the WW bridge structure, they'll come. Catfish are not picky eaters, you just have to find where they are. I find the South side works best. If you want to venture a little further out from the bridge, here's some hot spots that have been marked off in open water.

http://www.teamcatastrophic.com/phot...e-cat-hotspots

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Its also discouraged to eat the cats from near the wilson bridge, so....

Sent from the water.

I ate most of the ones I caught last year. I'm not growing a third arm....yet.
              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Chicken breast? Use cut fish or live fish. Huge hooks and huge baits sleigh ride

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X