So much for opening day at the Susky Flats tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for opening day at the Susky Flats tomorrow

Water clarity has been looking so good during the closed season, and then Mother Nature dumps on us again...

Anyone able to estimate how long the trophy size fish might stick around up there?
    Mike

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
    Water clarity has been looking so good during the closed season, and then Mother Nature dumps on us again...

Anyone able to estimate how long the trophy size fish might stick around up there?
    I'm guess not too much longer? However if you do fish there soon, don't forget that until June 1, the limit is 1 fish between 18"-26", so if you did catch a cow, don't keep it!

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. The complexity of the seasons is still driving me nuts.
      Mike

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. The complexity of the seasons is still driving me nuts.
        No problem. The seasons are all over the place on the flats. Even though we are getting a lot of rain I'm hoping tomorrow won't be too murky. I'm going to try to get out in the afternoon for the first time this year.

Comment

I've been Watching the turbidity and it seems to be holding. Tomorrow morning should still offer favorable clarity

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
            I've been Watching the turbidity and it seems to be holding. Tomorrow morning should still offer favorable clarity

I've noticed with past rain storms there is a decent delay for the mud flow to get down to the buoy. You have more experience there than I, so I am counting on you to be right

Anyone know how the rain was in Harford Co and areas north today? I work in Halethorpe and we got slammed pretty hard for a few hours. A co-worker on the eastern side of Glen Burnie said it barely rained at his house.
            Mike

Comment

I've noticed with past rain storms there is a decent delay for the mud flow to get down to the buoy. You have more experience there than I, so I am counting on you to be right

Anyone know how the rain was in Harford Co and areas north today? I work in Halethorpe and we got slammed pretty hard for a few hours. A co-worker on the eastern side of Glen Burnie said it barely rained at his house.
              It was steady but not terrible in North East. At least so far.

Comment

Same with Potomac river as well. I was gonna go fish the Occoquan dam for striper but they open the outflow from the dam.

Comment

Driving 95 North, most tributaries were blown out, running high and muddy. Luckily the only two feeders north of the Flats are Deer Creek and Octoraro Creek. They both really take a hit during heavy rainfall, but takes awhile for them to affect the flats. Octoraro is just below the dam, so it's not much of a factor to water quality on the flats. The North East river is so broad it can usually handle and filter the silt before it reaches the mouth. The most contributing factor of water quality on the flats are the spill gates of Conowingo Dam...but no gates are scheduled to open in the near future...that's good news.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Is there a website for the gate schedule?
                    Mike

Comment

NOAA BUOY:
                      http://buoybay.noaa.gov/m/susquehanna.php

Generation hotline:
                      (888) 447-4076

Spill gate hotline:
                      (877) 457-2525

2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Correction...generation hotline is
                        (888) 457-4076

2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

I was sooo looking forward to fishing the Flats after May 16. Just a few days ago there were a few reports of a lot of herring still up at Conowingo. So, there's a lot of food in the areas to keep stripers hanging around. BUT, this dang rain/flooding is going to put a serious crimp in Susky fishing by this weekend.
                          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I'm planning on trying it out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it stays decent. Worst case I get some exercise...

Comment

My plans just got changed unfortunately. Somehow the wife always wins. Maybe Sunday.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X