Flats got muddy quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats got muddy quick

At a quick glance, turbidity is in the upper 40's on the flats. Two days ago it was around 6 and yesterday I was bummed because it doubled to around 12. Still fishing yesterday wasn't bad. Plenty of 18-20" fish around, and quite a few doubles. No big ones though. That mud will take awhile to clear up....that's been the story with the flats this year.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I was wondering if you got out on the Flats after it re-open for striper action. Also, not sure what you mean by, "...and quite a few doubles."
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
      I was wondering if you got out on the Flats after it re-open for striper action. Also, not sure what you mean by, "...and quite a few doubles."
      The fish just jump into his yak two at a time.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
        The fish just jump into his yak two at a time.
        He is the "flats whisperer" you know!
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Coming over the 95 susky bridge it looked pretty brown yesterday afternoon. I wonder if anything will be around in 2 weeks when I'm thinking about getting out there?

Sent from the water.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

launched out of Jean Roberts sat and sundaywith my father,fished all the way down past the light house.never got a bite.Never fished the flats before but good learning exsprience.Is it easier to launch out of Tydings and paddle out?still trying to figure out the basics
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Personally I do not have much luck between Jean Roberts and Tydings. I usually launch out of Tydings until the grasses get to high and become a nuisance when I troll. Then I will switch to the lapidum launch where the terrain underneath is a bit more rocky. Right now it's pretty vital to fish the edge of the grass beds until they start to grow out of control and fishing the drop offs of the closest channel to Tydings. The only downfall to Tydings is it can get a bit congested with bass boats launching and later in the morning the channel really starts to increase in traffic. Just my opinion Blackjack...hey, the stripers could be anywhere. Once you get a few stripers on the flats you will start to figure the place out and gain some confidence,,,it's huge. Hopefully Yakfish will chime in, he really has the flats dialed in and is great at finding those shad ditches.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

thanks very much for the pointers.we passed tydings on sunday.the the wind made it a long hard paddle back.one more question is there a kayak launch at tydings ,how much is the launch fee
                Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                Hummingbird Helix 5

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                  thanks very much for the pointers.we passed tydings on sunday.the the wind made it a long hard paddle back.one more question is there a kayak launch at tydings ,how much is the launch fee
                  The launch is free for car top kayaks, use the boat ramps in the rear of the parking lot...have to share with the boaters.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    Personally I do not have much luck between Jean Roberts and Tydings. I usually launch out of Tydings until the grasses get to high and become a nuisance when I troll. Then I will switch to the lapidum launch where the terrain underneath is a bit more rocky. Right now it's pretty vital to fish the edge of the grass beds until they start to grow out of control and fishing the drop offs of the closest channel to Tydings. The only downfall to Tydings is it can get a bit congested with bass boats launching and later in the morning the channel really starts to increase in traffic. Just my opinion Blackjack...hey, the stripers could be anywhere. Once you get a few stripers on the flats you will start to figure the place out and gain some confidence,,,it's huge. Hopefully Yakfish will chime in, he really has the flats dialed in and is great at finding those shad ditches.
                    HJS, by "doubles" I mean both rods get hit and you catch two fish at once. That happened quite a few times.

Blackjack, the secret to the flats is learning the basics and then put in the time. Easier said than done, eh. I've got a whole process to fishing the flats, but it essentially starts with covering water and finding that first fish. It's no different than fishing anywhere else for the first time. Go out with a method of finding them. To be honest, I never know where they will be on any given day, but I know where they've been in the past so I start there and move to the next place, then the next and so on. Some days, and there's been plenty of those, where I never find them...demoralizing. I launch from Tydings most often because it's a central location, Perry Point Park is good too if you don't mind paying the toll...sometimes there's fish in that immediate vicinity and towards Carpenter...It just depends on where the fish are at that time. I can reach Sandy Point or Carpenter's Point if I wish from Tydings, but it's too far to fish the entire eastern side. Essentially, go out there looking for different topography, channel edges, weedlines, ditches, fingers, areas to funnel current, etc. The same goes for other areas. Find the right depth and features where you get the first fish and continue looking for spots just like it.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

thanks for help.its a part of the fun learning new areas ,and how to catch fish.
                      Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                      Hummingbird Helix 5

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                        thanks for help.its a part of the fun learning new areas ,and how to catch fish.
                        If you see me on the water, don't be shy. I can show you more things in person.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

will do ,hopefully it clears up quicker than I think it will.cant wait to get out there again.
                          Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                          Hummingbird Helix 5

Comment

Working...
                          X