X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SK100DS Setup

Originally posted by VuDism View Post
    INFLATABLE KAYAK

a lot of people on here are all about hard shell and have issue because they will say inflatables aren't durable and don't track well etc... but they've never tried the newer ones with drop stitched floors. I have an inflatable kayak because my car is a Scion FRS... i cant even put a rack on it. It takes me 10 minutes to go from car to water. My kayak takes 5 minutes to inflate.

best one you can get IMO is a Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track

http://inflatableboats4less.com/fasttrack-kayaks/

I current have a Sevylor Sk100ds. You can buy one at Walmart.com for under $250... it used to be $600 when it first released. It has a drop stitched floor and tough as hell. You CANNOT put a hook through it. Only issue is I had to install a Skeg on it as it doesn't track well on flat water because it was made to be a white water yak. Skeg install was $20 and it tracks fine.
    http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

another fine alternative.
    NRS PIKE
    http://www.nrs.com/product/16363/nrs...flatable-kayak

torture test on sea eagle...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ardGNdwZ0aQ

honestly, if i could afford a second car/truck and had more storage space i wouldn't mind a hard shell..

But right now, i have a small car, and it is great when i want to go on the water I just take my kayak (which is in a carrying bag), toss it in my car and go. no loading on a roof and having to tie it down etc.
    Sometimes I go fishing after work, so In the morning i toss my yak and rod in the trunk and go to work.

Hi VuDism,

I currently own a Sea Eagle 330, and am considering getting 380x or 385ft or perhaps an NRS PIKE IK, but they are WAY over my budget, so as soon as I came across your posting and learned about the sk100ds, I was sold on it!! I will likely get it in a few days or weeks.

Would you care to share your $20 skeg install (and if you can please be as detailed as possible) as well as any other rigging tips?

Thanks!!

Qban-

Comment

I used to use foam blocks but now use inflatable racks. I can't remember the name of them but they work 100 times better than foam blocks and the yak is really secure. I will get the info on them when I get home from work and post it.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by da_q-ban_one View Post
        Hi VuDism,

I currently own a Sea Eagle 330, and am considering getting 380x or 385ft or perhaps an NRS PIKE IK, but they are WAY over my budget, so as soon as I came across your posting and learned about the sk100ds, I was sold on it!! I will likely get it in a few days or weeks.

Would you care to share your $20 skeg install (and if you can please be as detailed as possible) as well as any other rigging tips?

Thanks!!

Qban-
        The sk100ds is actually even cheapest now at Walmart for $200!

Anyway... I bought the blue skeg kit in blue from sea eagle. Cost about $40 but I split that with my friend because the kit comes with 4 skegs and glue. You just need 2 skegs. Installed similar to the SE330.

You can rig up a milk crate with rod holders and put behind your seat the same way any other kayak does it. You can even rig a Scotty rod holder to inflatables with the Scotty 341 mount you glue on to the yak.
        Sevylor SK100DS Inflatable

Comment

The inflatable rack I mentioned earlier is called a Malone Handi Rack. There is a guy who sells blems on ebay for $80 and Amazon has them at $125. I think they are well worth the money and I still can't find the blem in mine.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
          X