Harper's Ferry 5/24 & 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harper's Ferry 5/24 & 25

I'll be staying in Harper's Ferry for the weekend and plan to take the yak. I launched from Brunswick for my 1st time in the Potomac back in October but I hear the current is quite a bit stronger this time of year.

I'll be alone and if I end up having to do a float I'll have to arrange for my wife to do the drop off and pickup later. Any suggestions for this time of year, or is the current going to be more of a problem than its worth? I'd be all for fishing a lake if there are any nearby as well.
    Mike

I have fished those areas often wading but rarely before true summer.

Generally due to high river flows (and until Bay fishing caught my fancy), my fresh water fishing routine was ponds and lakes through the spring and then switch to the upper Potomac and upper Susquehanna once the ponds and lakes grassed up.

Big Pool, MD is about an hour away from Harpers Ferry. That's one impoundment relatively close to Harpers Ferry if the river is uninviting.

Hope you have a good trip.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Still too high to safely yak. You might try the portions behind Dam 4 or 5 Williamsport, or maybe above Dam 3 Dargans bend. POR gauge was at 6.5 yesterday and we had more rain last night. Typically POR fishes well (for yaks) at 1.5-3.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

A stage of 3-6' is a typical norm for Harper's Ferry. Here's a link to the Harper's Ferry guage.
        http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=HFEW2

Its at 7' now and more rain is predicted on Friday for that area.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thanks guys. I called a tackle shop that said the Potomac is somewhat fishable right now and water levels should drop nicely by Saturday. He said the Shenandoah is in better shape right now.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X