Spring Game Plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Game Plan?

So whats everyones game plan right now in regards to spring rockfish?

Plan on trolling? what weights and set ups?

Light tackle jiggin?

Soaking Bait?

I'll troll a couple tandems like years prior, typically trolling lighter weight and smaller shads, but i'm gonna go heavier and bigger this year. also, i want to try trolling some wood plugs that give some action and try my hand at throwing lures at structure or whatever i see on the fish finder.

2 weekends now i want to go out and dont make it...i think i'm gonna have to call in sick this week to get out.

Ive been going through my bucktails, wood plugs and parachutes today straightening hairs and changing leaders. think i may need to change some hairs though, any one done this?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Not sure yet, gona have to see when it gets here
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

but its here? trophys are in the bay right now...
      sigpic

Comment

I've changed the hair ....... it's easy ..... just cut the thread wrapping and take off the old hair. Tie some really strong thread a couple of wraps on the collar. Then take some of the angel hair with the long part over the head and the short over the collar and wrap REALLY tight a bunch of wraps and tie off....... it's done. Probably have to use a bench vise because most of the fly tying vices are too small for the big heavy heads.

Still think heads over 2 oz - 3 oz too heavy for the flats ........ but hey ...... prove me wrong ......... I want lures running 7 ft or less ....... just my opinion ......

Comment

Gs- you're planning to hit the bridge area right?

I have heard that you can use conditioner like you would use in your hair on them and then get a brush and brush them out. I only have to chutes and they are in good condition still.

My plan is to try and hit the bridge this weekend, keep two set for trolling and one with a big bkd in case I mark something. We'll see!
          Used to fish more.

Comment

michael i may fish the bridge saturday
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

im planning on trolling the brdg sat also!
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Seems like everytime I try to go the weather opens up on me or the gf gets me. I'm all packed up for this one though, so should be easy to just throw the kayak on the roof and go. Let me know if your plans change
                Used to fish more.

Comment

i need to make a last minute run to bps or all tackle i still havent spooled my avet or the tyrnos plus i need some swivels and stuff. i have a question though. how do you keep your small umbrellas and your tandem rigs on the kayak from getting in a messy tangle?

for the tandem rigs i have been using a crab mallet head and putting nails in it on either side of the handle hole. putting the snap on the nail and wrapping the leader around the mallet head and then just pushing the hook point into the soft wood. seems to work pretty well for the smaller swimshad rigs i have tied up.

and.... the avet takes 360yds of 30. im just going to get a spool of 300 and fiill the rest with mono. what lb mono do you think is the best to use as backing?
                  Last edited by mdmakaira410; 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM.
                  Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

im going to fast jig, use buck tails tipped with BAs or BKDs in tandem with those floating teasers and throw some poppers around the piers.

id use 15-20lb mono as backing just cheap mono you will probably never get down to it. 30lb braid is the same as 8lb mono so you could put 450yds of 30lb braid on the avet

Comment

I was hoping to sneak out Friday or Saturday but I dunno now..
                      .FRI...W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 25 KT. WAVES 2 FT. A CHANCE
                      OF RAIN.
                      .FRI NIGHT...W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT IN THE EVENING.
                      WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN.
                      .SAT...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 25 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.

Comment

this sucks where is spring? i guess i'll make some rigs and maybe tie some flies

Comment

yeah ive been keeping track of the bay forecast all week. such a disappointment, it can still change though and noaa's off like 80% of the time. guess ill have to go bass fishing, tragedy...

Comment

Working...
                          X