Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody hitting the Severn over the holiday weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody hitting the Severn over the holiday weekend?

I think I'm going to try Sunday. Yes I know the boat traffic and crowds will most likely be bad but I just want a quick trip from home and the Severn does the trick. Missed out on my stripers the last time and just got to try again. Planning on getting to Jonas early to beat the crowds and get good parking. Hope to see a few other members.

I'm planning on going at least one day. Either Sunday or Monday, maybe both.

Comment

I plan to go Sunday if the wind stays low.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

The Severn gets busy on weekends, especially on a holiday weekend. Trolling becomes more of a challenge when you are fighting constant boat wakes. By going early or late in the day, you can avoid the heaviest of the boat traffic. Other options are launching from Tucker St and fishing in Weems Creek or from Truxton Park and fishing in Spa Creek. That gives you protection from boat wakes and wind (if that is an issue). Hopefully the white perch will make their appearance in large numbers very soon providing plenty of pullage from the creeks.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

I lived on Tucker Street by the ramp years ago before they built the condos. Where do you park if you launch there? I thought you needed a city permit or something? I don't live in Annapolis anymore. I used to clobber the white perch by the old railroad bridge...good times!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDog View Post
            John,

I lived on Tucker Street by the ramp years ago before they built the condos. Where do you park if you launch there? I thought you needed a city permit or something? I don't live in Annapolis anymore. I used to clobber the white perch by the old railroad bridge...good times!
            You need a city of Annapolis permit to park a trailer anywhere in the neighborhood. There is no restriction against parking a vehicle on Tucker St or nearby. So if you cartop your kayak, the ramp is available.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Seadog,

When Tucker Street is crowded, which it may well be this weekend, I've parked my van (no trailer) at the school at the intersection of Tucker Street and Monterey Avenue. It's a short walk from the ramp.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks John & Mark. Maybe I'll see you on the river. I have a yellow Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160.
                Last edited by SeaDog; 05-23-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah you can park up at the top of the street by the Elementary School and no one really bothers you. Also on the weekends & holidays the parking patrol is either OFF or focusing on downtown, and could care less about West Annapolis.

Comment

I hope to get over to the Weems launch on the late afternoon/early evening either Sunday or Monday or both. I have been out of town for the past 8 days and have lots of things to get caught up on at home. Hopefully by evening, the number of boat wakes will be down and it will be nice and cool out there.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I hope to get over to the Weems launch on the late afternoon/early evening either Sunday or Monday or both.
                      I now plan to launch from Tucker St on Mon morning looking primarily for perch, but I may troll for stripers too.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                      X