American Eel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Eel

I've never caught one, so now Cowkid2 has a "one up" on the old man. I don't know if they are good to eat, but the girls brought it home so it will be food.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

I'd imagine she has one up on quite a few of us.
    Mike

Comment

What the? Where did she catch this? Cool! Congrats on an interesting catch.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
        I'd imagine she has one up on quite a few of us.
        Agreed.
        Originally posted by Goody View Post
        What the? Where did she catch this? Cool! Congrats on an interesting catch.

Mobile
        The girls said it was on the "bay", I don't have a clue where...some place north of the Bay Bridge would be my best guess. Caught it on a blood worm from the shore.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

The look on her face was me making her look into the sun for the picture....not from the fish. The fish didn't bother her. lol
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Time to make some of these bad boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Ku_Yks8Fg

Comment

Originally posted by RxForFishin View Post
              Time to make some of these bad boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Ku_Yks8Fg
              My wife is Korean...original. She rolls some amazing stuff. Currently in the kitchen making kimchi...I'm 30 feet away and the "aroma" is strong.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

if cooked wrong they can be really tough and chewy. i hear smoked eel is really good if you have a smoker. thats a really nice sized eel btw
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I caught an eel once. Not as big as that though, and I definitely didn't hold it. It was dusk and I reeled it in. It felt weird coming in, it was there and then it wasn't. I've seen videos since then of people handling them. At the time, no way. I pulled the hook and kicked it back into the water.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Seen them in the patapsco near rt. 1 when they spawn.

Comment

Thousands and thousands of pounds of them are shipped by air from the Chesapeake to Europe every year where they are considered a delicacy.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Caught one of them when I was a little kid in Ocean City. We were up someplace near the Green Turtle 1XX th Street someplace and I was using bloodworms and fishing in one of the canals. I had a Zebco 202 and the eel pulled so hard it almost ripped the rod out of my hands. Got it up out of the water and decided to cut the line instead of messing with it.

Comment

I caught a 25 incher at the Wilson Bridge last year on a piece of chicken breast. I was a bit of a shock when I pulled it out of the water. I tossed it back but should have cut it up for catfish bait.
                          Jim

Hobie Outback
                          TKAA member
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

They used to be quite common on the bay. Whenever bottom fishing, one may have caught an eel. They can get quite a bit larger. Smoked eel was very popular around the bay in past years. Salted eel used to be the bait of choice when crabbing, due to the toughness. The popularity of eel in Europe raised the demand and the price. It has also made American EEL not so common a catch.

Comment

I don't know if it's AMERICAN Eel but Eels are great bait for stripers. I know in the early 90's they were really popular pitching the bridge pilings with them. Think they probably have an issue with swallowing the hook and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X